Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

peice of catt stock in gmmg

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default peice of catt stock in gmmg

alright, so i have a peice of a broken catt stock in my catback...i just dont know if its stuck at the Y of the GMMG or in an actual chamber...but i do know that its closing off the left (drivers side) tail pipe, b/c there is hardly any exhaust that comes out of that tailpipe, (literally, almost none) while the other side is puffing away...any idea's on getting it out? i've though of some ways, but i dont really feel like chopping up the exhaust tring to retreive the peice....there arent any exhuast shops around here i trust with that..there all pretty ghetto...i thought about stuffing my right (passenger side) tail pipe with a towel to close it off, and just stand on the gas and try to blow it out, but i dont know if that will work...any idea's on this? thanks for your time, and advice...

Jon
Old 04-07-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe take it off from where it meets over the axle, tap it with a rubber mallet and see if that loosens it up and falls out? Dunno what else, good luck.

-J
Old 04-07-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya i thought about that, but its welded right there...i'd have to cut it..
Old 04-07-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Ahhh didn't realize that. Is there anywhere it's NOT welded? Cuz even the I-pipe is just a long straight piece...
Not saying that trying to blow it out is a bad idea, but the design of the "mufflers" on the GMMG doesn't exactly allow that unless it's in pretty fine pieces.

-J
Old 04-07-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lastcall190
Ahhh didn't realize that. Is there anywhere it's NOT welded? Cuz even the I-pipe is just a long straight piece...

-J
pretty much welded from the end of the Y all the way back...
Old 04-07-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Damn, well, IMO if you have to cut it, I'd cut it where it starts to go over the axle. Also, if it's cheap to get it rewelded, that helps too. How big is the piece? Maybe get a piece of copper that's somewhat pliable, and see if that might dislodge it?

-J
Old 04-07-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not saying that trying to blow it out is a bad idea, but the design of the "mufflers" on the GMMG doesn't exactly allow that unless it's in pretty fine pieces.

-J
i was curious about taht...what does it look like inside the chamber? is it not just straight through?
Old 04-07-2005, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Damn, first off, you are sick fast at responding to the post. Here's a pic of what they look like on the inside (at least, the sweetthunders, which are "copies")

http://www.sweet-thunder.com/images/picABsmall.gif

-J
Old 04-07-2005, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like imm have to just cut it...dammit, i really didnt want to do that...

Old 04-07-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Yea man that rots If it helps, cut it BEFORE over the axle, so then it's not like you're really cutting up the GMMG, heh... Good luck man.

-J
Old 04-07-2005, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, first off, you are sick fast at responding to the post. Here's a pic of what they look like on the inside (at least, the sweetthunders, which are "copies")

http://www.sweet-thunder.com/images/picABsmall.gif

-J
****, so it could be lodged pretty good in there....imma have to figure something out...*take deep breath* stay calm..
Old 04-07-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, if it's lodged, then your best bet without hacking up the GMMG too bad would be a rubber mallet and just lightly tap away, see if it comes out. If it's stuck INSIDE the honeycomb type section, eek... yea just think about it a while, see what else you can come up with. The more I think about a problem, sometimes something comes to me.

-J
Old 04-07-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, if it's lodged, then your best bet without hacking up the GMMG too bad would be a rubber mallet and just lightly tap away, see if it comes out. If it's stuck INSIDE the honeycomb type section, eek... yea just think about it a while, see what else you can come up with. The more I think about a problem, sometimes something comes to me.

-J
ya i have been thinking about it for acouple days now, and those idea's i had were all i came up with...i been tring to rev it high and see if itll blow out, but now after seeing what the inside of those chambers look like, that might have been a bad idea...this sucks...how much does it hamper performance having a peice of the cat broken off? say it wasnt stuck in my tail section...just the cat was alil broke...would that change much of how the catt flows?

Jon
Old 04-07-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Hmm... my friend had a cat COMPLETELY busted from bottoming out. Sounded a little meaner, and didn't notice any drastic gain/loss of power. You should be ok IMO.

-J
Old 04-07-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

once i get this peice out, i think im changing to a ORY....so future problems dont arise....just not worth it you know...

Jon

Last edited by SilverStreak1830; 04-07-2005 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:47 PM
FormerVendor

Try and drag a magnet along the places where you think the peice is stuck and listen for anything moving along the inside of the pipe....granted you'll need a pretty heavy duty magnet but it should work I would think
Old 04-07-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zach@Texas-Speed
Try and drag a magnet along the places where you think the peice is stuck and listen for anything moving along the inside of the pipe....granted you'll need a pretty heavy duty magnet but it should work I would think
but wouldnt the catt have to be magnetic? arent they just porceline? (sp?)

Jon
Old 04-07-2005, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

any other idea's? i really need them...

Jon
Old 04-07-2005, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

porcline, i dont think so, i know they are made up of 3 or 4 different elements to cause a chemical reaction, so if you have patience, over time it will degrade and become smaller and some day fall out, or take the whole system off at the Y-pipe and try compressed air, roto-rooter, high pressure water (i fear rusting with this idea tho), or lightly tap around with a brass/plastic hammer
Old 04-07-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LiquidFire350
porcline, i dont think so, i know they are made up of 3 or 4 different elements to cause a chemical reaction, so if you have patience, over time it will degrade and become smaller and some day fall out, or take the whole system off at the Y-pipe and try compressed air, roto-rooter, high pressure water (i fear rusting with this idea tho), or lightly tap around with a brass/plastic hammer
seems everyone has this same tapping method in mind...ill try that..

Jon