Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motormounts

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default motormounts

I realize the only good way to fix The crazy y pipe banging with aftermarket systems are polly motormounts,and tranny mounts.How nescessary are they?The y pipe noise is Taken care of...but that motor and tranny flex quite a bit.If I stiffen those up,is it more likely that my car will flex easier at weak points,or should I be ok??I'v done 1.8 cranecams race rockers,complete mac system,and lid.and cranecams springs,retainers, pushrods.....Ttop too
Old 04-09-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99f1
I realize the only good way to fix The crazy y pipe banging with aftermarket systems are polly motormounts,and tranny mounts.How nescessary are they?The y pipe noise is Taken care of...but that motor and tranny flex quite a bit.If I stiffen those up,is it more likely that my car will flex easier at weak points,or should I be ok??I'v done 1.8 cranecams race rockers,complete mac system,and lid.and cranecams springs,retainers, pushrods.....Ttop too
Some people just replace the one motor mount on the driver’s side I believe to help with Y pipe banging issues.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced both. It's an ordeal, but it's worth it. Haven't noticed any cons to them at all. Mine were both in bad shape anyway. I don't think you have enough mods to worry about twisting the body. I have SFC's on my T-Top car just in case though. I've always heard that's one of the first mods you should do.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jet_black
I replaced both. It's an ordeal, but it's worth it. Haven't noticed any cons to them at all. Mine were both in bad shape anyway. I don't think you have enough mods to worry about twisting the body. I have SFC's on my T-Top car just in case though. I've always heard that's one of the first mods you should do.
What makes it such an ordeal....Is it a crazy job to do or something?How much for the 2 mounts plus the tranny mount?Like 150 or something?What made it so worth it.As far as sub frames go...what did it cost you
Old 04-09-2005, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99f1
What makes it such an ordeal....Is it a crazy job to do or something?How much for the 2 mounts plus the tranny mount?Like 150 or something?What made it so worth it.As far as sub frames go...what did it cost you
It's a major PITA to get to them with the motor in the car, much less headers and all ( like I did them ), especially if you have big hands/arms like myself. Took me six hours for the driver's, two for the passenger's. I got the Prothane poly motor mounts from Thunder Racing for $50 or something like that. I didn't get a trans mount yet, but I might have to soon. I think mine's on it's way out. (ET Streets)

It's worth it because the car feels completely different now. It really tightens up the front end. Drive a car with them and without them and you'll see what I mean. My motor is solid as a rock when I goose the throttle. Also, no banging from the X-pipes

I got the subframes from BMR. I went for the square tube because I don't care for lowering my car any. Price on those depends on which tubing and whether you want custom powdercoating or not. I got them welded in for $40.