Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making Stock O2 sensors longer (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Making Stock O2 sensors longer (pic)

OK - today me and my buddy spend whole day putting MACs in.
Passanger side O2 sensor was long enough to work with MACs. However the driver side is about 2 inches too short. Now, I know all sensors (2 front ones and 2 rear ones) are the same, and I'm not gonna be using rear ones.

I unplugged the rear one (pic below), and I wanna make it longer so I can use in the front.
I know some people made it longer by splicing the wires ???? How exactly is that done...
The O2 sensor wire has 4 little wires inside (2 brown ones, 1 orange, and 2 purple) do colors matter in that case...can I simply cut the wires and solder an extension ?

Thanks
Old 04-09-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well this is actually pretty simple to answer. You can:
A) Purchase a 12" extension and zip tie the excess out of the way.
-or-
B) Splice the wires. Don't splice it too close to the plug or the O2 , just incase you make a bad cutt. Then use butt connectors, or any type of connectors even solder, and some wire of the same guageto extend it. If you'd like you can use the same color, but really the color is just the pigment of the insulation. It doesn't affect the quality of the wire.

Now heres is the slight problem with splicing, this is from what I ahev read don't know how true it is so maybe someone can confirm. The wire of the O2 assembly is a special blend, and when you add 2 butt connectors and some copper wire it can affect the amount of voltage flowing through the wire. I have been told it is more beneficial to spring for the production extensions, as the use the same wire and compatible connectors. Hopefully someone can clear up this "rumor" as I am also curious about this. On a side note, the extensions that come with Flowtech and Pacesetter headers, are a length of wire and a bag of butt connectors.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cool - thanks...hopefuly someone can confirm if I can use any wire to solder those in...
Thanks a lot Deamon2002!
Old 04-10-2005, 12:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

I believe any wire is sufficient, I believe the key factor are the connectors themselves.
Old 04-10-2005, 12:34 AM
TECH Resident

The o2 isnt really something I would cut and splice. Just spend the money and buy the plug and play extensions.

If you are insisting on splicing... soldering>butt connectors. I would not use the butt connector method for anything relatively important. I dont care who sends it out as part of their "kit"
Old 04-10-2005, 01:28 AM
TECH Junkie

get extensions, I spliced mine and threw some codes until I bought a legit extension, I did have two different sized guaged wires though so maybe some resistance changes were screwing me?
Old 04-10-2005, 01:34 AM
12 Second Club

Simple answer is YES. If u order Pacesetter Lt's they come with with a "kit" to make ur own and basically its just extra wire and little crimping boots. Just cut add wire and solder ur use the little crimper boots like if u were hooking up a stereo system. I made my own for my pacesetters.

P.S. i think its 18guage wire. not sure tho.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Back when I worked on LT1s, I remember soldering the connections causing problems. For LS1s, I just always use extensions.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I never had a problem extending the wiring.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:21 AM
Launching!

I have done two sets on my car and I'd say it worked fine to me.

I had trouble getting the wire to take solder so I twisted each connections real tight by hand the had small sized heat shrink tubing and heated each of the 4 connections and then I had a bigger one that would heat shrink all 4 wires in tight.

I made my cut just about 2-3 inches from the 02 on the rear sensors that I wasn't using. Then I cut the front ones about 3 inches from the plug so between the two pieces I had way more than enough reach. That way it also only makes you do only one splice per wire instead of two per wire to put in an extension on each one.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have to agree with the majority, I was refernecing the Flowtech kit as an example, IMO extensions are the way to go.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, the vote count is 1 not sure, 4 saying it's ok and 4 saying it's better to use the real extensions. What do you do? I say spend the extra bucks and buy the extensions. In fact, I'll sell you a used set for $20 shipped. They are 12" long and I used them for 5 months. I went with Vette O2's and they come with long enough cables already. PM me if interested.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:10 AM
10 Second Club

You shouldn't have to use extensions for O2's on MAC's. I had MAC's on my previous setup and din't run extensions. You need to pull the O2 wiring down from the main wiring harness.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You shouldn't have to use extensions for O2's on MAC's. I had MAC's on my previous setup and din't run extensions. You need to pull the O2 wiring down from the main wiring harness.
I did that, and it's still 2 inches too short....I dunno how that's possible....
EDIT: For some reason there is a metal bracket that holds the O2 sensor connector to the frame (there is also a ground wire attached to it, and it won't let me pull it downwards...)

In fact, I'll sell you a used set for $20 shipped. They are 12" long and I used them for 5 months. I went with Vette O2's and they come with long enough cables already. PM me if interested.
Normaly I'd be on that deal, but I only need one extension, the other side worked fine with stockers....
Old 04-11-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

The o2 wires should come loose from the metal bracket with the gound wire attached.... I did the same thing when I installed my Mac mids on my 02....
If nothing else extend the gound wire?

Kevin

Originally Posted by AdamSS
I did that, and it's still 2 inches too short....I dunno how that's possible....
EDIT: For some reason there is a metal bracket that holds the O2 sensor connector to the frame (there is also a ground wire attached to it, and it won't let me pull it downwards...)

Normaly I'd be on that deal, but I only need one extension, the other side worked fine with stockers....
Old 04-11-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The o2 wires should come loose from the metal bracket with the gound wire attached.... I did the same thing when I installed my Mac mids on my 02....
If nothing else extend the gound wire?
I'll try that tonight - thanks !
Old 04-12-2005, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just a follow up - The STOCK O2 sensor wires ARE long enough to reach the O2 bungs on MACs

This is what I did:

On the driver side, the O2 sensor wire has a bracket with ground wire, and the whole thing is attached to the engine. The bolt needs to be unscrewed, and bracket removed. Then screw the ground wire back in, leaving the bracket lose. At this point the wire will be long enough to reach the front O2 bung.

Thanks again for all the help. I will post video of my MACs/ORY/Loudmouth combo, which I know will suck. I bought XR-1 muffler that will be replaced with SLP Loudmouth's resonator. I will do a 'before' and 'after' video for everyone to see (hear) the change.

-Adam