Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Toy

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Toy

I just got my 00 SS last week, and I've got the okay from the better half to get after the performance parts.

I have around 500 - 600 to spend on parts, but I was going to ask some advice from ya'll. This car is practically stock, it has a SLP Lid and Exhaust (One that came from the factory) and a Hurst Shifter. I would like to get another deeper exhaust on the car, and I'm leaning toward duals. So I had a few questions.

1. With High Flow Cats on it, is it going to be an absolute pain to have this thing inspected if I go with true duals?

2. I have a "inside guy" who can get me some Hooker LTs for $534, should I go with them first?

3. Will duals hook up to the factory headers okay?

4. What is the better size to go with on a exhaust 3" or 2.5"? I've heard of problems with back preasure on the 3".

5. Is there a something else you could suggest before all of this?

My plans for the car are to have a very fast weekend driver that will eventually have a reworked engine an a large shot of nitrous on it, but no trailer queen. Any suggestions ya'll could give would be great.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

<Ben Stein> Anyone...Anyone...<Ben Stein>
Old 04-11-2005, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

you can get coated pacesetters, and ory for like $530 and just go with 3" there arent any real backpressure issues with these cars that I know of
Old 04-11-2005, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

So you are saying get headers first? Will long tubes bolt up to the stocks stuff?
Old 04-11-2005, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

If I go for these Hookers will they bolt up to my factory stuff? That's considering if I keep the cats and all.

Also, and really not doing my self much good if the factory cats just choak the crap out of those headers?
Old 04-11-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would definitely go with headers first . One of the best mods you can do to your car . You will definitely feel the difference in power and it will sound great .
Old 04-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1999T/A
I would definitely go with headers first . One of the best mods you can do to your car . You will definitely feel the difference in power and it will sound great .

That's what I'm thinking, do they bold right up to the exhaust, or do I have to weld them on?
Old 04-11-2005, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

if you do the pacesetters and ory it will bolt right up to your cat back
Old 04-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by transamsixspeed
if you do the pacesetters and ory it will bolt right up to your cat back

I don't really want to put the ORY on it, because eventually I want to put duals on it. It may sound dumb, but I don't want to spend money on something I know I'll replace later.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

Realize that if you get longtube headers you will have to get a new y pipe. The new Y pipe should connect easily to the rest of your exhaust setup.

Brian
Old 04-11-2005, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

If I wanted to go with duals anyway, is it wiser to save up a bit and put the headers and duals on at the same time, so that I can save the cash on the y-pipe?
Old 04-11-2005, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

If you go with pacesetters you can get the headers and the y-pipe for the same amount that you were going to spend on the hookers, then you can run that until you have enough for true duals
Old 04-11-2005, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Well besides the price, what is the difference in the PaceSetter Long Tubes? I've heard of many people having trouble with their pacesetter exhausts in the past. They were on import cars, and this was a while ago, but I just got the impression that they were not as good of a brand.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pacesetters from what i've heard on this board, have been a quality header for the ls1 f-body. I have jet hots and they fit very good, but they are more expensive. I would recommend either brand based upon previous reviews and my own personal experience. Save your money for true duals if you don't want a y-pipe. Don't waste money on what you don't want. Reasearch everything extensively before you decide to buy because you will find yourself changing your mind. The search button is your best friend.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Regular

If you have to pass emissions you will not be able to with Long Tube Headers, unless you only have to pass a sniffer test. As long as there's no visual inspection you'll be ok. It sounds like you're confused as to the difference in a stock manifold and a set of long tube headers.

This is similar to what your stock manifolds look like:

This is what the Hooker Long Tubes look like:

As you can see the stock manifolds exit nowhere near where the longtubes will. You have to have a completely different y-pipe in order to run long tube headers. You won't be able to use your stock cats or your stock y-pipe.

If you want to run long tubes and you still want to pass the sniffer test you'll need to purchase either a catted y-pipe or have a shop weld a set of high flow cats onto the off-road y-pipe for you. Chances are you'll have a very hard time finding an exhaust shop that will do this for you since you apparently have emissions where you live.

You also won't be able to pass emissions with a true dual system unless you spend the big bucks it takes to make it exit out the back and stay emissions friendly. Lane's can make this type of exhaust system for you but it is very pricey.

Purchasing long tube headers and staying emissions legal is very expensive and shorty headers, while emissions friendly, aren't worth the effort. I wouldn't try it on your budget. I'd get a nice sounding cat-back until you can afford to go all out.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1Maniac
If you have to pass emissions you will not be able to with Long Tube Headers, unless you only have to pass a sniffer test. As long as there's no visual inspection you'll be ok. It sounds like you're confused as to the difference in a stock manifold and a set of long tube headers.

This is similar to what your stock manifolds look like:

This is what the Hooker Long Tubes look like:

As you can see the stock manifolds exit nowhere near where the longtubes will. You have to have a completely different y-pipe in order to run long tube headers. You won't be able to use your stock cats or your stock y-pipe.

If you want to run long tubes and you still want to pass the sniffer test you'll need to purchase either a catted y-pipe or have a shop weld a set of high flow cats onto the off-road y-pipe for you. Chances are you'll have a very hard time finding an exhaust shop that will do this for you since you apparently have emissions where you live.

You also won't be able to pass emissions with a true dual system unless you spend the big bucks it takes to make it exit out the back and stay emissions friendly. Lane's can make this type of exhaust system for you but it is very pricey.

Purchasing long tube headers and staying emissions legal is very expensive and shorty headers, while emissions friendly, aren't worth the effort. I wouldn't try it on your budget. I'd get a nice sounding cat-back until you can afford to go all out.
Great, thanks for all the info. I was confused on a lot of that. I guess I'll have to think this through a bit and see what direction I want to go.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Where are you located ? I would research emissions laws in your state/county before I bought them for sure . I live in a heavy emissions law state , but in a no emmissions county , so with a tune I pass emissions no problem . As long as I dont have the SES like on , all they do is a safety check and send me on my way . BTW , I have headers and an ORY .
Old 04-11-2005, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1999T/A
Where are you located ? I would research emissions laws in your state/county before I bought them for sure . I live in a heavy emissions law state , but in a no emmissions county , so with a tune I pass emissions no problem . As long as I dont have the SES like on , all they do is a safety check and send me on my way . BTW , I have headers and an ORY .
I technically live in McKinney TX, in Collen County(in the DFW area). I know that they do emissions here, but to be honest, I just moved here and haven't had to do it yet. I've heard of problems that people have had with emissions here. I imagine I could find someone who would inspect the car and I could pass, if I were to put some cats on it.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

I talked to a guy in town about putting on some duals. He said he would do the exhaust part, but he won't touch the headers. If I put some 3" long tubes on with the 3" duals, am I going to have problems with back pressure?

I know that transamsixspeed said that he hasn't heard of this with these cars, but the guy at the shop said that I'd lose some low end torque if I went this big. When I spoke with him, I hadn't discussed putting on the headers and exhaust at the same time(didn't know if that made a difference). Keep in mind this is all because I have NO engine mods at all. Just running this by ya'll as well to see what you think. I know lots of people who have used this guy's shop for exhaust work, and he's supposed to do a really nice job and he's fair.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

i would definitely go with headers and the y-pipe first