Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ported MAF Sensor

Old 04-12-2005, 02:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ported MAF Sensor

I just got a ported MAF sensor. I've done some searching and found everyone saying not to do it. What's so bad about porting/ descreening your maf sensor? I've noticed better throttle response w/ this one over the stocker. Should I really take it back???
Old 04-12-2005, 02:26 AM
Launching!

It should at least be calibrated correctly. If not, the computer will be confused, comprimising timing, sensing a lean condition which equates to less power. I've read that a calibrated 85mm meter will work, also that the stocker is good for about 500 horses.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:07 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by transam0486
I just got a ported MAF sensor. I've done some searching and found everyone saying not to do it. What's so bad about porting/ descreening your maf sensor? I've noticed better throttle response w/ this one over the stocker. Should I really take it back???

If the MAF table is adjusted to compensate for the added airflow it could help. The MAF is very sensitive to changes; descreening, porting can all lead to bad results. Hence why most people just leave the damn thing alone.

Last edited by Checkmate; 04-13-2005 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Porting/descreening CAN create A/F problems. At least with descreening it seems to be a case by case basis. However, porting the MAF seems to cause A/F problems for nearly everybody that has tried it. If you have tuning software I would recommend descreening the MAF and adjusting the talbe if needed. I would not recommend porting it at all. It will flow quite a bit for a stocker (500 HP as said above). If you bought an aftermarked MAF they should have given you a calibration for it.

For more info do a search for MAF or MAF screen.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:35 PM
Teching In

I took out my ported/descreened MAF because I was following this forum's advice since I was taking off the long tube headers, to go back factory exhaust manifolds & Cats for CA smog check. I found another descreened MAF, but not ported, so I used that one....

However, it surged somewhat under 2k rpm and some while WOT - I wasn't happy with performance wise, so I went back to ported/descreened MAF and it performed MUCH better, even with factory exhaust manifolds & cats! I have no idea if previous owner messed with the MAF table though.

I have the cold air intake & the flowmaster Y-pipe with straight through glass turbo muffler.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

my MAF was descreened when I bought the car, so issues here. i've also got an M6, so that makes a big difference. haven't ported it and prolly won't, next step would be a calibrated 85mm MAF unless they come out with a good 90mm one.

Search this Thread