Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF!!!!! Header install!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF!!!!! Header install!!

Geez!

Everything was trottin along just fine, thought this would be cake. Well I managed to take off EGR, AIR, all the plug wires, unbolt all the f'n bolts to the Edelbrock short headers, and managed to disconnect the cats from the Y (could get the cats removed from the short headers).

Well now when I try get my stupid header out from under the drivers side, I cant get the ******* thing out. It wont clear the steering shaft, it wont clear some other ****...ive broken 3 sprak plugs trying to get this thing out..IT WONT GO!!!...I unbolted ONE bolt fromt he steering shaft but cant figuere out how to get it off!!!

What do i do? how do i get this stupid header out???? Is there a site or something where i can SEE how to remove the steering shaft...Im soooo last now.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

try to pull it out from the top, my LT's went in from the top on the drivers side
Old 04-13-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

My pacesetters went right in, it took some wiggling around but they went in and came out a few times already.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the plugs out, it'll save you headaches. Did that on my friend's install, made it a breeze. Good luck.

-J
Old 04-13-2005, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lastcall190
Take the plugs out, it'll save you headaches. Did that on my friend's install, made it a breeze. Good luck.

-J
Well, seein as how I already broke 3 of em...u can consider those as "out"..didnt seem help out any...the header WONT GO OUT from the bottom, gets either stuck on the steering shaft or at the very bottom part...the cat is still attached to the header too...couldnt get the cat off. Couldnt get the o2 sensor off it either, was gonna try to get it off after pulling the header out. So I dont think its gonna go through the top either.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

Edelbrock shorties right? The cat is off? What about the O2 sensor? If those two items are off - remove the steering shaft. There's one 11mm bolt up near the fire-wall and one down on the rack - that's kind of hard to get to. Also - you may need to remove the oil return 'block off' plate that's right above the oil filter. Two 10mm bolts. It should come out then.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Take the plugs and coil packs off and pull them from the top. It should come out with some wiggling. and make sure your cats are seperated from the exhaust manifolds or there is no way you are getting them out the top.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:23 PM
12 Second Club

loosen the motor mount and jack the engine up. u should have more room like because i had to do the same for my header install!
Old 04-13-2005, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

EZ FIX.... First and foremost, its not a good idea to do any headers with the plugs in the car. Secondly, the steering shaft needs to come out. Third, The oil filter may,(or may-not), have to come off. Now it comes down to which header you are installing in its place.. Slp, will go on the drivers side with some force. Kooks you have to take the engine mount loose and lift up on the engine. I have never put headers on from the top. All from the bottom on jack stands. The cat shouldnt be a prblem. Ive done longtubes with cats and still gotten them off. The higher you can get the car the better. If you still think you need more room, remove the rear trans brace and support the tailshaft with another jack that rolls and have someone pry on the tranny to give you more room.. This has always been a must for me with the SLP longtubes on the passenger side.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

second for the above... there are two bolts for the steering linkage, one on the "imput shaft" for lack of a better description, and one towards the bottom connecting it to the rack. If that doesn't work, raise the motor.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

save yourself grief..take the steering shaft off and you would have been done a long time ago..
Old 04-13-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

well i finally got it out...I did break just about every plug on the drivers side, but after that and FINALLY managing to get the cat off and the o2 sesor off the drivers side and removing some heat shield thingie, the thing dropped.

The passengers side came off no problems. It was FINE breaking my Ac Delco plugs...have had 2 boxes of NGK TR55s sitting in my dash since i first bought the car back in August 04 So i guess now is the time to put em in.

Thanks for the help guys...now its time to put in the pacesetters!!! Then tommorow...the TSP true dual...CATLESS!
Old 04-14-2005, 12:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hitmeoff
well i finally got it out...I did break just about every plug on the drivers side, but after that and FINALLY managing to get the cat off and the o2 sesor off the drivers side and removing some heat shield thingie, the thing dropped.

The passengers side came off no problems. It was FINE breaking my Ac Delco plugs...have had 2 boxes of NGK TR55s sitting in my dash since i first bought the car back in August 04 So i guess now is the time to put em in.

Thanks for the help guys...now its time to put in the pacesetters!!! Then tommorow...the TSP true dual...CATLESS!
That's gonna be a loud sumbitch
Old 04-14-2005, 01:10 AM
10 Second Club

I hope you like wearing ear plugs while driveing, while your at it take the radio out, you won't need it!! LOL LOL.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by (JRracing 24
I hope you like wearing ear plugs while driveing, while your at it take the radio out, you won't need it!! LOL LOL.
Oh dont worry, I have a 2400 watt system in my car
Old 04-14-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope we finish these headers tonight...