Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CC insert experiment

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 12:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CC insert experiment

As an experiment last night I installed a 3" cc insert that I had laying around in each side of my exhaust outlets. I took the tips off of the corsa cat back and slid them in to see what the TA would sound like. I then put the tips back on to keep them in place for the time being. The first thing I noticed upon start up was no raspy snap crackle pop when the engine caught.

The car also seems quieter inside and out than it did before. After warm up I went for a ride, now I have much less rasp than before and at a much higher rpm when it does occur. I am running Hooker LT, Hooker ORY and a Corsa cat back. The rasp before was terrible and started about 1400 rpm and continued until 3000 rpm or so. Now any rasp I have starts about 2500 or so and can be eliminated just by a very slight change in throttle position. The rasp is almost tollerable now but not quite.

The car also is much quieter at speed and the drone I had disappeared. The drone only occured on the highway with the converter locked on slight inclines but it was bad. The old SOP meter cannot tell a change in power but I did notice I picked up about 1/2 lb of boost at 6500 rpm. I am sure this is due to the added restriction within the exhaust. I do like the fact that I can now hear the blower screaming over the exhaust.

I have been trying to figure out what to do with my exhaust for a while now and have been searching previous posts for ideas. I still have not decided what to do yet to quiet the car down but this may be a good temporary fix for now.

Remember this was an experiment and just my own observations. As far as HP loss only the dyno would tell.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats a cc insert?
Old 04-14-2005, 02:51 PM
Launching!

Car Chemistry insert. It goes inside of the exhaust pipe and is sort of a baffle. You can find them at summit and jegs.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

my exhaust tips have resonators in them and that greatly reduced the rasp of my gmmg (rode home with their tips on until i could get the others cut off) how much quieter does it make the car with these installed?
Old 04-14-2005, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

I wonder what would happen if I put a 3" flanged cc into my exhaust cutout? Has anyone done this?
Old 04-15-2005, 06:18 AM
Launching!

WS6FirbirdTA, The car quited down but without a DB meter I could not tell you how much. My wife also commented on how much quieter the car sounded and she also noticed the rasp was reduced, not eliminated though. The biggest thing I noticed is the interior noise and drone are way down from before. I think I am going to remove the inserts and just go with a TSP catted Y. Everyone that has done this seems to agree its the best way to eliminate the rasp. Forgot to mention in the original post, inserts are 3 disc.

Redneck Z, I would think the insert would quiet the car down some but not much. Without installing one and checking the before and after results with a DB meter I dont know what/how it will sound. With the inserts there are caps availble that you can use to tune the sound to your liking. I do not know what the CC web site is but I would suggest a search to see what they look like.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:04 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CC inserts choke the **** out of the exhaust as proved by Ryans dyno.

Quick Reply: CC insert experiment