Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I void my 3 year warranty for TD's?

Old 04-15-2005, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Should I void my 3 year warranty for TD's?

Im really stuck, just bought a 2002 SS, i wanted true duals w headers, with an x pipe and all....but then i realized that the previous owner bought a $3000 extended warranty on the car that lasts till 2008, it covers EVERYTHING! I was told that if i keep the aftermarket exhaust CAT BACK, ill be cool if anything should happen to the engine...but if i add headers and all, it voids any engine coverage...WHAT SHOULD I DO???
Thanks, all opinions welcomed
Old 04-15-2005, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

what I would do. is put the headers on, install the xpipe with td's and then keep all the hardware that was on the car. this way if somthing does happen. just take the headers and xpipe and td's off and put it back to stock. that is what i would do.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

When I was younger, I would have done what 1FST99Z suggested. What other mods do you intend to do? If you want a ton of mods, I would probably just do them and discard the warranty. If all you want is exhaust, I would probably do a nice cat-back and call it a day. GMMG might be a good choice if you go this route.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by erikthegoalie
Im really stuck, just bought a 2002 SS, i wanted true duals w headers, with an x pipe and all....but then i realized that the previous owner bought a $3000 extended warranty on the car that lasts till 2008, it covers EVERYTHING! I was told that if i keep the aftermarket exhaust CAT BACK, ill be cool if anything should happen to the engine...but if i add headers and all, it voids any engine coverage...WHAT SHOULD I DO???
Thanks, all opinions welcomed
If there is a problem resulting from the header install then the dealership has to prove that the headers and TD's caused the problem. If so, they have the option not to cover it. But it shouldn't void the entire warranty, only the problem that resulted from the header install.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just take the headers and xpipe and td's off and put it back to stock.
That's good advice. Whatever you do though, don't let the warranty stop you from modding. Have you read all the fine print of the warranty? I doubt it covers "everything" and even if it does, chances are you're not going to break any engine/drivetrain parts until you're under their racing or abuse clauses, so the coverage is basically useless anyway.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:14 AM
TECH Regular

The "fine print" usually says they can stick it in and turn it sideways at their discresion. But if they care about their reputation they wont.

I would do the mods and keep the old parts for incase you need warranty work. Only problem is if the smallest thing breaks then off come the parts.

I know i couldnt wait until the warranty went out, id do the mods and if something huge went wrong hope they couldnt blame it on that.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

hey thanks everyone! Ill go ahead n hook er up...screw the warranty...not worth it..
Erik
Old 04-16-2005, 06:14 PM
11 Second Club

hey thanks everyone! Ill go ahead n hook er up...screw the warranty...not worth it..
Erik
I have the extended warranty, and had headers when an O2 sensor went ,The dealership changed it under warranty, I now have tru-duals. no probs yet.

Go for it, you only live once,.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if you dont care about your extended warranty cancel it before you start modding and get most of your money back.

that should cover a good amount of your exhaust parts.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
if you dont care about your extended warranty cancel it before you start modding and get most of your money back.

that should cover a good amount of your exhaust parts.
Can you do that? Cancel and get a partial refund I mean.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:34 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you will not void your warranty by putting on duals and headers....
hey have to prove that those parts caused something else to fail before they can void your warranty...and even then.... they can only void it for that part...
meaning they cant void your water pump because of headers...they could void your 02's if they wanted to...

again...problem has to be proven that it caused failure before it can be voided for that part.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 9silverbird8
I know I can on mine. I have a 4 year warranty through the dealership i got the car at. I can cancel it and get everything back, except for the coverage i've gotten already, which would be about 2 months worth. Not sure if you can cancel every warranty plan like that.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

I voided my FACTORY warranty the first day I owned my SS....Hahahaha
Old 04-17-2005, 08:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Erik
The warranty is worth it, just keep all your stock parts till the warranty runs out. On these cars what breaks is the drivetrain,-rear,tranny,driveshaft.These engines are very hard to kill.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 9silverbird8

if its a GMPP you can.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hold on to your stock stuff and put those mods on and switch em back. but if you dont want to do that, then just cancel that damn warranty. the previous owner spent 3k on that warranty not you. and besides those warranties are all shady anyways. they wont cover things that should be covered sometimes anyways. and remember if you got any weird noises or strange things going on in your car, you can always count on the guys here on ls1tech to help give you an answer to your problem.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, maybe I can get some money back for that warranty that I didnt spend money on...that would be sick...i could put that towards mods...
then again, I am 20 years old, if something major were to happen due to plain bad luck, id have a broken SS sitting for quite a while considering i work a part time job...
erik
Old 04-18-2005, 02:53 PM
10 Second Club

Most things don't break due to bad luck. They break because we tend to abuse these things. After all, there is a reason we aren't driving beaters.

Some guys like to make the factory pay for their stupidity. They swap everthing back to stock after they have blown the tranny so that you and I will have to pay for it the next time we buy a new car. Nothing is free - they just push the cost off onto people that come along later.

If your gramma drove the car, nothing would ever break. Simple as that. So the warranty is essentially useless unless you want to make the rest of us pick up the cost for your breakage.

Now there is a very, very low probibility that something might happen wherein the warranty would come in handy and would be legit. But the probability is so low that you will be money ahead to ignore it.

Sears makes more money on warranties that it does on product sales. Stop and think ... they could not offer things like extended warranties if they lost money. What it comes down to is insurance. You are betting that the car will break when you buy a warranty. They are betting that it won't and they have the numbers to know that they are right. If you are willing to take responsibility for you own actions, you will save a lot of money in the long run by avoiding warranties. (and also full coverage insurance - same principles).

Search this Thread