Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

open headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 07:56 AM
Temple, TX Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default open headers

how long and hard can u drive with open headers .. would a few days be ok ... should i keep from getting on it ??
Old 04-15-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can run open headers, i dont think it will hurt anything(unless its some ears) just watch out for popo they will either love or hate it and if you have neighbors they might get a rude awakening at night.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people will tell you open headers are fine, but you will probably run very very rich from outside air getting on the O2's. There is apparently a small chance of washing down the cylinder walls though. That is over my head, but there are definately some people who don't like the idea.
I myself ran open header for a few weeks while waiting to have duals installed. It was LOOOOOUD. I mean, seriously. It was a lot louder than my current exhaust. A lot. It sounded soooo good too. Revving it up to 5k it made some of the most beautiful noises. I will eventually get dual cutouts to open header, and see how that sounds with my cam
Old 04-15-2005, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

You'll run pretty rich. I helped a guy put some headers on and we ran it open headers before we put the y-pipe on and it was pouring out some black *** smoke.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SiRgReg23
how long and hard can u drive with open headers .. would a few days be ok ... should i keep from getting on it ??
I would avoid it, if I could. If you can't, make sure your O2's are protected. You may want to run sims for the back ones. The front ones will probably run too cool.