Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could it be tensioner ARM noise?

Old 04-16-2005, 08:59 AM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could it be tensioner ARM noise?

Hey all,

In my continuing quest to rid myself of the embarassing hiss coming out of my engine, I have noticed that it seems to be coming from the tensioner. I have changed the pulley, and it made no difference. Is it possible that it could be coming from the Tensioner Arm itself? I listened to a bunch of stuff with a screwdriver and it seems to be coming out of there. I dont know though. Its so freaking loud. I know for a fact that its coming out of the passenger side in the front, but I dont know if this is definetely it. Any experiences? Also for reference I have changed the belt, the tensioner pulley, the idler, and dumped my A/C belt, so its none of those things. Also I have found NO evidence of an air leak anywhere in my induction line.

Brad
Old 04-16-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

I have a metallic clicking noise that I suspect is the tensioner but I can't tell for sure.
Just started recently. It is different sound than valvetrain.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you sure that its not the air pump cycling on/off.It makes a hissing noise like you describe and is mounted just to the left of the tensioner pulley on the head.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino
Are you sure that its not the air pump cycling on/off.It makes a hissing noise like you describe and is mounted just to the left of the tensioner pulley on the head.
I was just thinking this but then I thought to myself I still here a hiss even though my AIR is removed. It has to be air though the TB going into the intake.
Mine does go away once its warmed up though so it may not be what he is talking about?
Old 04-17-2005, 06:29 AM
TECH Regular

Not the air pump on mine. That's more of a hissing air sound. The noise I have is a clicking metal noise. I will check today but I think the noise goes away, for the most part, after warming up.

Search this Thread