Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much of my sound will my cats kill?

Old 04-17-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much of my sound will my cats kill?

I just installed Pacesetter Long Tubes and TSPs True Dual Exhaust system...and DAMN!!!! I love the way my car sounds...holy mother of **** the setup is sooooo sweeeet.

However I live in california...southern california...orange county, southern california...and round' here the cops are UBER biatches when it comes to **** like that. Ive decided that I DO NOT wanna take a chance at getting my car impounded for having deleted smog equipment, PLUS one thing I do dislike is the overpowering smell of exhaust that my car is producing now.

So Ive bought 2 Carsound/Magnaflow high flow 3" cats. Im gonna put em in as soon as I get em, but Im afraid that the cats will absolutely KILL my sound. Now make no mistake about it, I am going to put on the cats, its not a question of whether I should or shouldnt rather I am and now what will be the result. Sooooo....

1. How much quieter/weak is my car gonna sound now?
2. How much (if any) HP will i loose?
3. I bought the TSP True Dual MAINLY because I wanted a meaner, louder exhaust...I had a magnaflwo before whose tone i liked, but was waaaayyy to quiet. So did I waste my money on the TSP TD system since Im catting it and bought it mostly for sound? Should I have just bought a catted Y and mated it to my Magnaflow (I had edelbrock shorties before mated to the magnaflow) or is there still more to be had in terms of sound from a catted TD over a catted-Y/catback?
Old 04-17-2005, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

you know i just did the same thing(installing pacesetters and TSP true duals) and was going to install the same type of cats and such, and i kinda wanna know the answer to this question ttt for ya.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sh33p4u
you know i just did the same thing(installing pacesetters and TSP true duals) and was going to install the same type of cats and such, and i kinda wanna know the answer to this question ttt for ya.
THe set up does sound nice the way it is, huh?
Old 04-17-2005, 07:42 PM
12 Second Club

I would like to know as well, I would guess that the sound wouldn't be a raw as it is now, more of a muffled sound.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

yeah the setup is amazing, wouldn't settle for anything less.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 04-17-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Junkie

you might get a little more rasp from the exhaust, it will be a little quieter, but still loud. you said that you don't like the smell, well the cats will help in that area by burning the excess gasses. you might lose 7 to 10 horsepower, but some cats flow better than others so you might not lose to much. good luck
Old 04-17-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dont get carsound cats mine broke after 2 weeks, but they are gutted now. sounds alot better, and it will smell like an old big block car lol

Search this Thread