Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks installed, few ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 11:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kooks installed, few ?'s

Just had my 1 3/4 Kooks headers installed today and after start up and for a while afterwards there was some white/blueish smoke coming from the exhaust, is this normall? Another thing that I'm not sure about is I'm pretty sure we didn't have any leaks when checking the car after initial startup and revving it a bit. After driving it I noticed alot more noise coming from the front of the car, which is to be expected. Thing is, it's really noticable when I get on it from 3000-4000 rmp like I can hear the car breathing right under my feet. Is that normal with longtubes? Or could it have developed a leak after I drove it a bit? So far I like it though, not nearly as loud as expected. But real wierd sounding there 3000-4000 rmp. I hope thats not the dreaded no-cat rasp I've heard about. I have it going through a SLP 2OTL so it still sounds pretty good. Thanks if ya made it this far.

JasonG

PS- we did have to grind the k-member a wee bit to get the drivers side in.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JasonG
Just had my 1 3/4 Kooks headers installed today and after start up and for a while afterwards there was some white/blueish smoke coming from the exhaust, is this normall? Another thing that I'm not sure about is I'm pretty sure we didn't have any leaks when checking the car after initial startup and revving it a bit. After driving it I noticed alot more noise coming from the front of the car, which is to be expected. Thing is, it's really noticable when I get on it from 3000-4000 rmp like I can hear the car breathing right under my feet. Is that normal with longtubes? Or could it have developed a leak after I drove it a bit? So far I like it though, not nearly as loud as expected. But real wierd sounding there 3000-4000 rmp. I hope thats not the dreaded no-cat rasp I've heard about. I have it going through a SLP 2OTL so it still sounds pretty good. Thanks if ya made it this far.

JasonG

PS- we did have to grind the k-member a wee bit to get the drivers side in.
Do they ship the LT's with oil iniside? Maybe its something like wd40 to keep from rusting.

I know the LT's on my chevelle make enough noise down in the collector area that it sounds like a leak/lots of air moving.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:31 PM
12 Second Club

check your o2 sensors, make sure they arent against the headers...
Old 04-18-2005, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MachoCamacho
check your o2 sensors, make sure they arent against the headers...
What it sounds like is normal exhaust noise inside the collector
Old 04-19-2005, 01:03 AM
TECH Regular

And yes, its normal for the exhaust to smoke quite a bit after you first start it up. My QTPs smoked like crazy the first minute I started it up after the install.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:40 AM
Launching!

Hey,

Thanks for the replies. Os'2 are ok, fronts are in and rears are zip tied off. No SES light yet either and I've done about 50 miles so far.

JasonG
Old 04-19-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

No smoking after my Kook's were intalled. A little additional noise under the hood. Oh, I did manage to blow something loose in the Corsa muffler. At least it's a free replacement.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:55 PM
Teching In

My Kooks smoked for a little while after first start up. Thats to be expected on new exhaust though.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

you had to notch the K member for LT's? Thats weird, I thought the kook's slid right in....
Old 04-19-2005, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hardtop00SS
you had to notch the K member for LT's? Thats weird, I thought the kook's slid right in....
Had I had the time I prob coulda worked on it more. It's was catching by by a gnats bottom on the driver side. Ground off a wee bit and in it slid. Very easy install overall considering some of the horror stories I've heard. lol

About the noise sound.... anyone else think this might just be normal or I might have had something come loose while driving?

JasonG
Old 04-19-2005, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

the valvetrain noise is normal for LT's, but I dunno about the hissing/air sound under the car, my exhaust is a little too loud to hear that