Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mystery LS6 manifold?

Old 04-24-2005, 05:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mystery LS6 manifold?

I'm collecting parts for my LS engine build and got a "LS6" manifold - I think? The bottom is flat, but there is a 1.395" hole on top right behind the throttle body mount face. Also, there is a sticker behind the throttle body neck with the number "12561182CA Prototype Part Serial No. 001". There is no cast number anywhere on the plastic. Is this sticker the usual PN on the manifold? Or is this an early proto part?
Attached Thumbnails Mystery LS6 manifold?-pdr_1483t.jpg   Mystery LS6 manifold?-pdr_1484t.jpg  

Last edited by BigAl1; 04-24-2005 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Added pics
Old 04-24-2005, 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

pics!!
Old 04-24-2005, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

The part number matches what it should be for an LS6-style. Very peculiar. The CA...I wonder if it was some sort of prototype for some California emmissions requirement... Very interesting. I would like to see some pics as well. Did it come from eBay?
Old 04-24-2005, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

Well, you may have a LS6 with the egr provision from SLP. Flat bottom and part number mean LS6. The pic shows its for the F-body (it has the throttle cable brackets which the vette intakes do not have).
Old 04-24-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Oooo...pics. Is that a functional EGR hole on top? That does look suspiciously like a prototype for meeting some California emmissions requirement...
Old 04-24-2005, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

That really dosent look like a typical GM label, some sort of aftermarket piece
Old 04-24-2005, 06:23 PM
Teching In

Got it with a pile of other stuff from a guy on here.
Yes, the hole is through into the main air path, but the inside edge into the air path looks hand cut - definately not a cast shape. Inside the EGR? hole are 6 ribs.
The label has a logo that looks like CMA.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

This sounds familar. I remember someone else here getting a similar manifold a few weeks back and was unsure about part numbers.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:28 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in June 2003, 'Project GatTagO' posted in https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/81499-numbered-connecting-rods.html :
This engine is brand new and has never been run. From what I can figure out, its a pre-production LS6. The intake manifold has a sticker on it that says prototype part. The heads are very odd. The casting number is 799, and they look like LS6 heads with a distinctly "D" shape exhaust port. The connecting rods were numbered, which leads me to believe that the engine was blueprinted. The exhaust manifolds carry a production Corvette LS1 manifold part number, but have "D" shaped port that match perfectly to the heads.
Sounds like that might be the same kind of set-up that BigAl1's manifold started off in.

Last edited by ACW; 04-25-2005 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Wanna trade it for a non EGR LS6 intake? I'm in San Gabriel/Temple CIty area.

David
Old 04-24-2005, 08:36 PM
Teching In

No thanks. Want to keep the adaptability for registration purposes here in Ontario, Canada. Strange rules for kit cars here!
Old 04-24-2005, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

I think the very early LS6 manifolds still had EGR provisions.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigAl1
Got it with a pile of other stuff from a guy on here.
Yes, the hole is through into the main air path, but the inside edge into the air path looks hand cut - definately not a cast shape. Inside the EGR? hole are 6 ribs.
The label has a logo that looks like CMA.
The label looks to be from a company that I have been to in Bristol, Indiana. The name of the company is CMI (CMI-Precision Mold, Inc) and when I was there (12 years ago) they were making OEM aluminum intake manifolds in their foundry for GM cars Ford F150 and the 5.0L Mustang GT. I'm sure a company that big has several plants scattered accross the country and it wouldn't surprise me that they are now producing composite OEM intakes.

The CMI I'm talking about has the exact same logo where the letters C M And I are linked together with the globe type object dotting the letter "I". The colors for their logo is the same also.

Here is some info from a search I did......Looks like that do have several plants but no details about Composite parts, just aluminum castings............

Century On Wheels. The Story of The American Automotive Industry. Pioneer Publications, Inc., 1987

An abstract from the book on the historical growth of CMI International, Inc. powered, in part, by technology and equipment from its subsidiaries. Two machine-building subsidiaries were later merged to form Hayes Lemmerz International - Equipment & Engineering, Inc.

In thirty years CMI has grown to become one of the largest independent aluminum casting component manufacturers in North America. CMI was founded in 1957 by Ray H. Witt, president of the company.

CMI supplied components primarily to the automotive sector and also serviced the commercial highway, railroad, recreational vehicle, mining equipment, agriculture and material handling industries. Seven foundries produced malleable and ductile iron, stainless, alloy steel, and aluminum castings.

Machining was a substantial part of the company´s more than $250 business in 1986. CMI´s expertise in metals and machining created a distinctive marketing advantage and business was expanded to also assemble components at the machining plants and deliver products directly to the customers´ plants.

In 1970 CMI purchased Noren Pattern and Foundry in Fruitport, Michigan. CMI-Noren, Inc., as it is called now, has been expanded from one to four aluminum foundries. CMI-Wabash in Wabash, Indiana has been expanded twice since 1978 to double its original size. Size of CMI-Permanent Mold in Bristol, Indiana was expanded to 110,000 square feet and the plant can be the highest volume U.S. producer of permanent mold aluminum castings.

CMI-South, Inc. facility was built in Marion, Alabama in 1978. Since then the plant capacity was tripled and it became the most automated iron foundry in the South. The original foundry CMI-Cast Parts in Cadillac, Michigan received more than $2 million in new coremaking equipment, mold line, flasks and flask handling equipment, new cupola and metal treatment equipment. One of the most important developments was the ability to pour gray and ductile iron on the same molding line. With the substantial investment CMI foundries are among the most automated in the world, according to Ray Witt.

CMI-Dearnborn machining plant originally located in Dearnborn, Michigan was moved to Montague, Michigan and has tripled in size. A machining shop in Southfield, Michigan has doubled in size after it became CMI-Southfiled, Inc. A second building was purchased in the 1980s for CMI-Southfield Plant 2 and then has tripled in size. A 327,000-square-foot machining plant in Princeton, Kentucky was purchased in 1985. Nearly 80 percent of the company-produced castings are now also machined by CMI.

CMI uses automation to increase productivity at its plants. It designs and builds its own special machines to have more cost effective medium to high volume runs as compared to other conventional methods.

CMI-operated Seaton-SSK with plants in AuGres and Ann Arbor, Michigan builds heavy duty foundry equipment. Recently, all necessary equipment for the new 120,000-square-foot CMI plant in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico was provided by CMI.

Each CMI plant has expertise in statistical process control including specialized computer systems to ensure uncompromised product quality. Continued growths of CMI´s business is the direct result of its commitment to product quality, employee productivity and cost savings.

Old 04-24-2005, 09:31 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

SS LS1 - Very interesting!

For reference here is the link it's from: http://www.hayes-lemmerz.com/press_k...es/growth.html

Last edited by ACW; 04-25-2005 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Oh, I never even bothered to notice you had that thing in Canada. What are emmisions requirements like up there?
Old 04-24-2005, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

ACW you are a searchin ****!!
Old 04-24-2005, 09:50 PM
Teching In

For kit cars, no smog equipment required to get registered. BUT - if I lived near Toronto area I COULD be stopped and ticketed for not having the proper smog equipment installed. Yet none is required!!! Confusing sometimes! Ontario has the strictest requirements (I believe) in Canada, but nowhere near California requirments (I'm from Fresno 6 years ago).
Old 04-28-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Interesting that someone else has one of these too. Mine actually came on an engine. As posted earlier, the engine has 799 heads castings. From the research that I have done, it looks like we have prototype LS6 manifolds.

Here is a picture of my manifold:

Andrew

Last edited by Project GatTagO; 04-28-2005 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Interesting.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the pic Andrew. Now I don't feel so alone! Sort of feel lucky with SN 001. I see your sticker is on the opposite side of the TB zone, and slight damage on the top of the flange? Any other issues you have found with this odd part?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mystery LS6 manifold?