Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

camaro LS1 A/C compressor

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camaro LS1 A/C compressor

I have a 2000 ss and have replaced the compressor 3 times. They last about 9 months. My mechanic tells me that compressors usually last over 3 years. Acording to the mechanic the problem with LS1 compressors is that they have plastic pistons instead of metal ones, also they are sealed and cannot be repaired. The mechanic tells me that the problem is that they don't handle high rpm.

The compressor cost $400 and $250 extra to have it installed with the drier and valve. It has 1 year warranty but have to pay the $250 instalation each time. Have searched in ebay but the lowest new is $355. Have seen them also as used parts.

I changed the diff to 4.11. Is this the problem, as the car is now reving higher faster? Should I put the 3.42 back? Should I change the rev limiter to a lower RPM, like 5000, so as not to damage the compressor? Is there is a kit to put the metal pistons in the compressor? does sombody sell a better compresor? Does GM make a fixed or upgraded compresor? why does GM not fix this problem part?

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem $$$.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

heres a thought, dont rev the car up with the a/c inguaged, it would cause it to prematurly fail, and besides with the a/c on it kills power anyway. so if you gotta pass someone or smack some rice real quick, just turn the a/c off then when your done crank it back up. -Jim
Old 04-24-2005, 06:44 PM
Teching In

i try not to rev it while on a/c but sometimes, specially after some beers.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Veteran

My A/C just went out 2 months ago, its the factory original from April 1998 when I picked up my car. 7 years old.

I'm getting a new next week from Discount Auto...$300.00 for eveything.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Veteran

I always ran my car hard with the A/C on max, didn't seem to hurt my compressor in the past 7 years. But maybe I'd get 9 or 10 out of it if I didn't do that
Old 04-24-2005, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Forgot to tell the the new one (3rd) installed this week is making noises and will have to take it for warranty. afraid mechanic will charge for labor again since i bought the compressor myself.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 12stones
heres a thought, dont rev the car up with the a/c inguaged, it would cause it to prematurly fail, and besides with the a/c on it kills power anyway. so if you gotta pass someone or smack some rice real quick, just turn the a/c off then when your done crank it back up. -Jim
over revving with the ac on will kill it quick..i learned that 400$ lesson last summer in mine. i know the 98-99 cars have a gm tech bulletin on the pcm not shutting the ac off in time under load, thats what caused mine to fail.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

and one more thing, the best compressor u can get is an acdelco. its worth the money. make sure u get it professionally done, too much oil, too lil oil , too much freon, all these can kill compressors.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:50 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Revving the motor out shouldn't kill the ac compressor. The ac compressor shuts off at wide open throttle, unless you are expierencing the problem above and the pcm isnt shutting it off in time.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:55 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Originally Posted by Tim @ EADPerformance
Revving the motor out shouldn't kill the ac compressor. The ac compressor shuts off at wide open throttle, unless you are expierencing the problem above and the pcm isnt shutting it off in time.
That's what I was thinking. With the LS1, there's enough power there it's hard to tell if it shuts off or not. I know with my 96 Camaro (V6) it was easy to tell it shut down at WOT.

Quick Reply: camaro LS1 A/C compressor