Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Budget Mods to get started

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Budget Mods to get started

Have a stock '02 TA. What are the best mods to start off with? Don't have a lot to spend yet, so I'm looking for fairly cheap mods. Aftermarket lid seems to be very first thing to do. Also, what free mods are recommended and which should I stay away from?
Old 04-25-2005, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

You are on the right track with the lid. Do not mess with the MAF, you do not need to touch it. I would then get some subframe connectors, good tires, and a cat back exhaust or a cutout. That should get you good and addicted to wasting money on the car.
Rob
Old 04-25-2005, 08:43 PM
11 Second Club

definitely get an exhaust next, for both power and sound. if you don't want to spend $750+ for gmmg or corsa i'd say get magnaflow(about $400) of the slp loudmouth(if you don't plan on running long tube headers with no cats in he future). or just get a $30 cutout if you don't mind crawling under the car to unbolt it when you want to be loud
Old 04-25-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

First exhaust mod I did on my car was a cutout and I enjoyed it alot. Sounded incredible at WOT and very cheap mod.....The FRA is a good mod also. You can read up on it at www.installuniversity.com
Old 04-25-2005, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

"Bo white" ported TB would be a mod I would consider.

Stock is on the left, ported TB is on the right.

I'm not going to entertain a guess as to what it will gain you, but give that picture a decent honest look and tell me it's not worth $60 + core charge.

Also, don't forget the TB bypass and 160 degree tstats and lower temp fans.

Matt
Old 04-25-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

OLE 1830 sent you a pm....
Old 04-25-2005, 10:15 PM
Teching In

with true duals, do you run 1 or 2 cutouts? not sure if that is a dumb question or not. I do plan on running LT's and true duals at somepoint, but won't have the money for some time.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by clemsonSOM_TA
with true duals, do you run 1 or 2 cutouts? not sure if that is a dumb question or not. I do plan on running LT's and true duals at somepoint, but won't have the money for some time.
If you have true duals you will not need cutouts. True dual can be an h-pipe or an x-pipe (most commonly used in the ls1 world). Basically you have pipe running from each header into a cat or not if you choose not to run them. Then the pipes got to and x and then go to mufflers (bullets, flows, spintech, etc) I will try to find a pic.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used Lid, Used Exhuast, free mods, remove some ****.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FatZ28
If you have true duals you will not need cutouts. True dual can be an h-pipe or an x-pipe (most commonly used in the ls1 world). Basically you have pipe running from each header into a cat or not if you choose not to run them. Then the pipes got to and x and then go to mufflers (bullets, flows, spintech, etc) I will try to find a pic.
Would you not still gain power with cutouts open on duals? exhaust would exit without going through mufflers, right?
Old 04-25-2005, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Slammed-am
Used Lid, Used Exhuast, free mods, remove some ****.
What is some good **** to remove?
Old 04-25-2005, 11:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clemsonSOM_TA
What is some good **** to remove?

Check out the weight removal list, or whatever it's called, in the drag racing tech forum. Thus far I have pulled the front sway bar which helps with weight and weight transfer, the washer fluid w/reservoir, AIR/EGR (not air conditioning), the rear seat, and all of the sound deadening/insulation from underneath the carpet.

Good cheap/free mods: Lid, catback or cutout, fernco or hump hose (smotth bellows), ported throttle body, underdrive pullies....

Search the external engine and new enth sections for the word free in the title, and then search for first mods.