Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7-0...for now, but need some advice..

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 12:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 7-0...for now, but need some advice..

hey, i just posted this thread in the racing section and i wanted to spread it out a bit to see wat most of ya'll thought..thanks (moderators, i apologize for the double post, but i thought that i might get more exposure this way...thanks)

Wats up ya'll, just got back from another night of having some fun and there are a few things i would like to see wat ya'll though.

first, i just got the 408ci (about 591/553 on an engine dyno with a ls6 manifold and 28 degrees on timing) with a ss3600 stall, 42lbs injectors, headers and a loudmouth, stock rear 3.23 (yeah, its crazy loud but i love it!!!) blah blah blah...

Also, im running on sorry *** kumho's all around (245/50/16) the back are almost gonna, the left tire is smooth while the right is as smooth or worse..they look like slicks almost...i know, getting a new set this week...

Anyways, so far i've had tons of fun with the new setup. I cant hook for my life until third...first and second are kinda useless unless i feel her through. I have raced a few rides and ive had pretty much the same results...

03 civic turbo ( he said 7 psi...)
96sh mustang gt on bottle (didnt say but had headers and pipes at least...)
m3 on bottle (also didnt say how much...these guys never want to talk...)
evo @20psi (probably more but didnt say much more than that) he was pretty quick
03-04 cobra conv. (stock)
dodge magnum wagon (not sure...)
srt-4 @15psi (maybe more but not sure)

Also, i ran a 360 modena but he hit while in front and after a few seconds, i was creeping on his tail..

Ok, im not trying to glot, im as humble as i can possibly be, but i have noticed that im not pulling as much as i thought i would. This is all through a mail order tune and i was told that i should finalize my tune for max wot. Also, this is all through the stock air lid, maf, bellows,tb, and ls1 manifold.

wats going on? Am i nuts in thinking that my ride is slow or are there factors that are not letting me see the kind of results i was excepting?

The biggest lead i have gotten is about two-two 1/2 lengths on all of those races. (for the exception of the gt, i pulled pretty nasty on him, but this was one of the first races and my tires were still "ok") I noticed that i was pulling harder on the cobra than the srt-4....is this right? both races where from my second gear roll, and on.....

im sure that i will eventually lose, it comes with the game, but should i get better tires? Tune?

Basically, i ask this because i have seen people post larger gains on similar cars while im not really seeing those typical gains...

I know its long so to sum it up..

cliff notes:
My car is fast, but im not seeing the kind of gains i thought i would see.
(see mods up top, tell my wats up...)

thanks

you can pm me if you have any suggestions or wateva...
Old 04-27-2005, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

You need a better intake and a lid. Those are worth some power. I have a 422 and I can't hook on slicks in first or second gear on the street. The tune is very important if you want to make max power out of your combo. Get some m/t drag radials for the street. I may get some next week for my street wheels.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by obZidian
...Also, this is all through the stock air lid, maf, bellows,tb, and ls1 manifold.

wats going on?...
You answered your own question right there. That sucker needs to BREATHE!
Old 04-27-2005, 01:15 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Turo
You answered your own question right there. That sucker needs to BREATHE!
i agree
Old 04-27-2005, 01:38 AM
TECH Addict

so basically, if i un-cork this thing, i should see not only some nice gains on the dyno but on the top end, therefore pulling harder?

wat about the tires or tune issue? It sounds though that it maybe a combo of all...

still unsure on wat maybe the biggest contributor...
Old 04-27-2005, 02:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your biggest problems are the LS1 manifold, tune and tires. If you've got the cash go to a fast 90/90 setup, tuning & sticky tires (ET Streets or MT dr's). And come on, a brand new lid is about $150. If not, LS6 intake (used ~300), ported TB (do it for free at home), lid, and some tuning.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

yeah, i know their not that expensive but i just dropped a few g'z on a new motor, a tanny about a year that and than a rebuild just the other day....

im getting around to it but since the car has been sitting for 6 months, im kinda feeling her out to see if there are any other issues needing addressing
Old 04-27-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

bump!
Old 04-27-2005, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lid, LS6 intake, dyno tune, drag radials or better.