Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interchanging LS1 Throttle Bodies?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Interchanging LS1 Throttle Bodies?

I just got a used truck LS1 throttle body. I know this because of the orange return spring. I compared it to the one on my 01 Z-28 which is different in two ways. It has a larger diameter bell crank (butterfly crank) with a blue return spring, and the coolant pass trough tube on the passenger side is curved compared to the truck unit which is straight. The tube shape in no biggie but I am wondering if I would get full throttle with the truck unit on the 01? Has anyone played with this?
Old 04-27-2005, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will need to reuse your original throttle shaft. The truck bell crank and 98-99 bell crank is almost identical but is not compatible with the 00-02 cars unless modded to do so.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Hi Bo, I contacted you about this via e-mail. I am also convinced of the same. I have a couple questions. Can I send you the truck TB to be ported and then do the swap out when it comes back? How hard is it to remove the two throttle blade screws? I figure I can use my demel cut off wheels to remove the front part of the throttle shaft and trim the shaft screws once reinstalled. Do you use thread locker on these screws? Thanks.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

I just answered a couple of my questions. I removed the two sensors, the two throttle blade screws, throttle blade, and released the tension on the return spring. I expected the shaft to slide out, but it didn't.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a lock ring on the shaft behind were the TPS was, just take a dead blow or brass hammer and knock it out. I use a Dremel with a cut off wheel to do the half shaft mod so you could too. I use Loctite 262 on the screws, I can send the TB back to ya disassembled so you could do that.