Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will the sound be different

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will the sound be different

on a dual exhaust system. if i use 3''inlet3''outlet dynomax bullets. will it sound different, if i use 2''1/2 inlet.2''1/2''outlet. and is there any power diff.?
Old 04-27-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Regular

The 3" in/out will be a deeper, louder sound and it will flow more and thus make more hp.(assuming the piping is the same size)
Old 04-27-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats the reason for 2.5 instead of 3inch
Old 04-27-2005, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Z28 Camaro
whats the reason for 2.5 instead of 3inch
Ground clearance, ability to route it over the axle, and one more debatable reason.

Many (myself included) feel that running too large a pipe is not good for your car either. The gases flow slower through the larger pipe hurting you two ways. One, the lower velocity creates less of a scavenging effect, working against the virtues of having an x pipe to begin with. Second, the slowr moving gasses have much more time to cool off as they traverse your exhaust setup. Cooler exhaust is heavier exhaust and thus heavier to push through. There was just a post about a 600 RWHP car running 2.5" TDs and the backpressure was barely over 1 psi. Hardly choking the motor, id say. Also keep in mind that dual 2.5" pipes is about the same flow as a single 3.5" pipe. How many people really complain about how restrictive a 3" catback is, let alone a 3.5"?
Old 04-27-2005, 05:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Ground clearance, ability to route it over the axle, and one more debatable reason.

Many (myself included) feel that running too large a pipe is not good for your car either. The gases flow slower through the larger pipe hurting you two ways. One, the lower velocity creates less of a scavenging effect, working against the virtues of having an x pipe to begin with. Second, the slowr moving gasses have much more time to cool off as they traverse your exhaust setup. Cooler exhaust is heavier exhaust and thus heavier to push through. There was just a post about a 600 RWHP car running 2.5" TDs and the backpressure was barely over 1 psi. Hardly choking the motor, id say. Also keep in mind that dual 2.5" pipes is about the same flow as a single 3.5" pipe. How many people really complain about how restrictive a 3" catback is, let alone a 3.5"?
That is an interesting perspective. I guess it all depends on what your trying to do.

I guess what you mean by "Cooler exhaust is heavier exhaust and thus heavier to push through." is that cooler exhaust is DENSER exhaust and thus HARDER to evacuate. By all means correct me if i am wrong.