Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about o2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about o2 sensors

My SES light came on, I got the codes read and it returned 2 bad o2 sensors (one in front, one in back) I have heard not to worry about the back ones when it comes to performance. Another problem I have been encountering is very poor gas mileage and sub-par performance all around. I have pulled a spark plug out and they seem healthy. Do you guys think two new upfront oxygen sensors will solve my worries? Oh as well, Currently my ses light is off...not sure how...
Old 05-02-2005, 12:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the O2's are going, you are probably running rich. Does it idle rougher and kind of chug along at light throttle and low RPM? Maybe on and off in terms of being noticeable? Do you have any mods? (headers specifically) Replacing the front O2's is probably the way to go.
I had that problem recently. It happens a lot when you have headers. I replaced my sensors with ones meant for the rear bank on a C5. They work better with headers as they are made to be that far from the engine. Mine was an intermittent problem both in the SES light coming on and off and the performance being horribly bad then better. Sometimes it would act right with the light on, sometimes it would act like **** without the light off. Put new O2's in=instant fix. I got 7.8 mpg on a tank where the O2's were **** for most of it.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

Being the cheap-*** I am, Should I just replace the fronts being that the front ones are the only ones that the computer uses to figure out fuel? I am hoping this also fixes the weird hesitation the car has under different kinds of acceleration, as well as my utterly terrible gas mileage (like 11 mpg! )
Old 05-02-2005, 12:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Replace the fronts and delete the rears with a quick edit/tune. Shouldn't be too much I've heard of shops deleting things like that for like $25 or so.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:56 AM
Staging Lane

What kind of shop would be able to do this? I am not sure if i have anything around where I live
Old 05-03-2005, 07:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to know the best 02 sensor in the market? I just order my SLP LT Header and I know i need some sensor to counter act the SES light to pop on.I have 02 Camaro SS.