Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems w/ Cooling System

Old 05-05-2005, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Problems w/ Cooling System

I have a Mazda Rx7 that has been fitted with a 02 WS6 LS1. I have a problem with the cooling system. When initially setting everything up I was not getting coolant to pass through the motor. The car would shoot right up to about 215 and then I would shut it down. This is with a fan running on the radiator constant and reading the ECT from the ECU through HPTuners. I thought at first that the thermo was stuck since the car had sat for about 9 months before I got it. I took the thermo out and it is a stock unit and working fine. I thought that I would replace the thermo anyway with a new one so I took the thermostat out of the motor. I got everything buttoned back up and running. I drove the car for a few miles and never got the car to go over 140 degrees. I took the car back home and installed a BRAND NEW thermostat and housing. Now the car will start and run fine but the coolant never moves out of the radiator. The car is heating up to 215 after about 4 minutes of running. I took everything back apart and it all looks fine. WHAT THE HELL!!!
Old 05-05-2005, 08:14 PM

BTW - Another point to add. When I ran the car without a thermostat in the car was cycling coolant through the motor with NO PROBLEMS. The radiator heated up and the lines so I know that coolant was passing through the motor. With the thermo installed, the radiator stays ice cold.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

So the thermostat is stuck. You answered your own question and taken the problem out of the situation. It's possible you got a bad thermostat or something is causing them to stick. All the coolant is new correct? Did you flush the old stuff out of the block/radiator?
Old 05-05-2005, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Isn't there some steam line or somesuch on the LS1 that has to be hooked up for everything to work correctly? I'm new at all this, but I believe I recall hearing something about that-
Old 05-05-2005, 10:24 PM

Thermostat is not stuck because I used the stock on and a brand new on from Pontiac w/ the same issues.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bubble in the coolent maybe? I know that happend to me, open the cap to the radiator and let the motor run to operating temp, you should see it bubble if there is a bubble in there, and it will bubble alot, if it doesnt over heat keep it running at idle for about 10 mins then cap it, (i used a funnel that has an adapter for the radiator to stop it from over flowing, so yours may spill some) just a thought
Old 05-06-2005, 05:09 AM
TECH Resident

Are you using new coolant or the old crap that's been sitting in it? It's not uncommon to get a bad part thats brand new. I know LT1s have coolant bleeders but I'm not sure about LS1s, if they got them, try to bleed the system.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Launching!

There is no coolant bleeder for the LS1. Best way to bleed is to run it to operating temp with the cap off and the heat on full blast. Are you running dexicool? Is it new? Did you mix it properly? Air in the system could be your problem but it could also still be a bad thermo. Like said before. It is not uncommon to buy a new part that doesn't work properly. Gotta love quality control.

Search this Thread