Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sparks fly when i try to connect battery posts!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry sparks fly when i try to connect battery posts!

so i recently did a heads and cam swap. i could swear i think i connected everything correctly. so the only thing left to do was hook up my battery. when i went to connect it. sparks sstarted flying everywhere as soon as i connected them both posts to the battery. i searched but found nothing. Can anyone help!
Old 05-10-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

to a point thats normal. If it's a small amount.
make sure that the key of OFF. Other that that did you change any ground or have to deal with the alt hot feed or starter wire? It's possible that one is laying on a ground somewhere.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Make sure no wires are laying on the starter. We did a 396 swap in my dad's 1970 shortbed truck and when I went to connect the battery, the damn motor tried to turn over. Scared the **** out of me.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How bad is it sparking? They should spark when you bring the cable close to the battery (well the 2nd connection anyway) but once you've got it completely touching it shouldn't spark anymore. If you're shooting sparks everywhere...are you connecting the battery backwards maybe? *cringe*

Dope
Old 05-10-2005, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

it will spark if you just hold it there loosely and makes contact, then breaks, etc. As stated though once you tighten it down sparks should stop.... are the grounds in the back of your head ok?
Old 05-10-2005, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also make sure you connect the power first. Most people do it the opposite and it sparks.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, it helps if you connect red (+) first so that you are not risking grounding it out to the chassis and causing a light show!
Old 05-10-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the sparks are minimal its ok, make sure u are going to the correct terminals as well lol im sure you are but its something that could happen by mistake
Old 05-10-2005, 09:38 PM
wrencher

Also make sure nothing was left on, interior lights headlights etc. It should have a little draw on it hence a small spark for the intial reconnect to power. Got an amp meter? place it in between the battery & cable & measure the draw. Should not be more than 50 milliamps continously. It can be pretty high on the intial connect though to power everything up.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:38 AM
On The Tree

hum well, i tried today but no luck. i connected the battery the right way, red=+ black=negative. the alternator is fine and that copper wire is grounded. the starter looked fine too. nothing is on in the interior. and i did connect those wires in the back of the head too.... none on the passenger side just on the drivers side right? two are togeather and one is alone.... i think or at least that how i connected it. the only thing i can think of is that i was going to relocate my coils so i got that main wire that hooks them all togeather, took off all that silver heat wrap **** but, i ended up putting it back on without that heat wrap. do u think i could have it turned around like the 7th connector on the 1st coil etc. i only did this to the driver side coil connector thing not the passenger. would that cuase this to make the spark. oh ya by the way.. its not just any old spark , its a ****** light show!!!! it freaks me out every time i try to connect it!!!!! aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: sparks fly when i try to connect battery posts!