Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loudness of exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Loudness of exhaust

why not sticky a thread with decibel readings of the different types of exhaust so ppl stop asking tht question?
Old 05-12-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that would be an interesting project for someone to do. i wonder if any magazines have already done this? my brother has shown me a best motoring where they compare catback systems(on a s2000), but it was in japanese.

Last edited by snake charmer; 05-12-2005 at 06:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-12-2005, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

There was one (I swear I saw it) that had about a dozen catbacks and the decibel levels at idle and WOT.
IIRC it was a post in one of jrp's exhaust threads
Old 05-12-2005, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

QUOTE: why not sticky a thread with decibel readings of the different types of exhaust so ppl stop asking tht question?

That might help some, but knowing how many decibels an exhaust puts out is hard to put in perspective, and won't stop all the questions. 92 decibels may be loud to one person, and might not be considered loud to someone else. I read an article that covered db readings for alot of mufflers in a ford mag. After reading the article, I still felt like asking someone else what a couple of the mufflers would sound like. Alot of times I think the person asking the question really wants to know how loud the exhaust seems from somebody else's perspective, and not just how many db's it puts out.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redneck Z

Alot of times I think the person asking the question really wants to know how loud the exhaust seems from somebody else's perspective, and not just how many db's it puts out.
Thats true but having a list of db levels would answer a lot of questions. For example, if someone has heard a flowmaster and can see the db rating, they can more easily determine how loud or quiet another one would be. Just a thought.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

decibles are only a measure of how loud a given thing is, there is no way to truly measure what somebody thinks an exhuast sounds like to the next indivual.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by snake charmer
decibles are only a measure of how loud a given thing is, there is no way to truly measure what somebody thinks an exhuast sounds like to the next indivual.
Not only that, but the different pitches of the exhaust effect how loud it is perceived to be. People tend to percieve higher pitches as being louder. To an extent...
Old 05-12-2005, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by snake charmer
i think decibals would be a good idea. of course you wouldnt get the tone but you would get the loudness, which would answer a lot of questions