Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge hook-up questions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 10:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Gauge hook-up questions?

Have a water temp gauge, and a air/fuel gauge to hook up. Two questions...

1) For water temp i searched and found that everyone is using the plug in the back of the passenger head, but to do so you need an adapter... autometer part # 2275 ? Is that the only thing you need? Any info on this would be great!

2) What wire do i have to tap into off the 02's for the air/fuel? I made my own o2 extentions so dont mind cutting into them! I know thunder racing sells the adapter, but i'd just assume tap in. Thanks again!
Old 05-14-2005, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nikon1999
Have a water temp gauge, and a air/fuel gauge to hook up. Two questions...

1) For water temp i searched and found that everyone is using the plug in the back of the passenger head, but to do so you need an adapter... autometer part # 2275 ? Is that the only thing you need? Any info on this would be great!

2) What wire do i have to tap into off the 02's for the air/fuel? I made my own o2 extentions so dont mind cutting into them! I know thunder racing sells the adapter, but i'd just assume tap in. Thanks again!
For the Air fuel guage i tapped into the Wiring harness. I dont remember exactly which wire it is, but i know its purple.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ttt any other input? thanx
Old 05-15-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

for the A/F meter look for a bundle of wires that goes down to the starter (passenger side). It goes from the ECM to the Starter and two 02 sensors on the passenger side... you can't miss it. Get the A/F meter and with the car on tap into a purple wire with a white stripe or a solid purple wire until the LEDs in the A/F ratio meter start to light up like crazy.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i went right to the pcm for mine, forget the pin number but if u want i can go look. i have the same exact gauge set up in my car plus shift light. where i ran the wires u cant see any of them, period. its nice
Old 05-19-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hid mine quite well also. I used the adapter for the A/F gauge though. I also heard that a good place for the water temp is on the back of the block just above the starter. Here is the link explaining it: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/284279-aftermarket-water-temp-sender-placement.html
Old 05-19-2005, 02:17 PM
10 Second Club

you can also install the water temp sender in the freeze plug right above the starter. youll need an adapter. I got mine from Autobarn (Equus adapters) and the whole adapter kit was like $5. I dont remember the size but it was the second to largest one. People complain about them breaking, but if you install the sender into the adapter first and put it in I dont see any problems with it breaking.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GregWS6&z28
you can also install the water temp sender in the freeze plug right above the starter. youll need an adapter. I got mine from Autobarn (Equus adapters) and the whole adapter kit was like $5. I dont remember the size but it was the second to largest one. People complain about them breaking, but if you install the sender into the adapter first and put it in I dont see any problems with it breaking.
I just said that.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For A/F, tap into the purple wire coming off the passenger side front O2 sensor. You can follow this wire up from the sensor to where it enters the PCM. This way you wont need to get under the car. There is a bundle of wire that goes to the PCM. On my car, there were only two purple wires in this bundle, one larger than the other. The smaller one goes to the O2 sensor(splice into this wire), and the other goes to the starter. Since you will be under the car anyways to put in the water temp sender, you can trace the wires to verify you have the correct ones. For the water temp, just read the link above.