Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! Y pipe banging problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 02:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Y pipe banging problems

I know this topic has probably been beaten to death so I apologize but I need some help.
I have Pacesetters on my 01 SS with the Texas Speed Y pipe. It sounds like it's hit or miss with these things and apparently I am one of the unlucky ones.
I installed the Mufflex bump stop hanger which seemed to help a bit with normal acceleration but the Y is still banging on the driver side under hard acceleration. I've only got about 1/4" clearance between the top of the pipe and the underside of the car. In fact the clamp of the Mufflex piece may actually be what's still hitting.

Sorry if I stole someone's picture here but does the Pacesetter Y come like it's pictured below with the flat spots ?

Anyone using the Pacesetter Y recommend it ? How well does it fit ?
If this would solve my problem someone will get a great deal on my practically brand new TSP Y pipe.

This is the only part of the Y that is hitting, if I took this to an exhaust shop could they put a flat spot on the section of pipe which is hitting (circled) without deforming the end of the pipe?

I tried doing it in the vice and banging it with a mallet but neither one is working very well, both methods are deforming the end of the pipe which I need to keep round to fit into the rest of the Y pipe.

I'm really not sure the best way to go about this. I'd really appreciate any advice you guys have to offer.
Thanks
Old 05-15-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

try moving the bumpstop rubber piece closer to the chassis, looks like its not positioned optimally from the pic.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:26 PM
12 Second Club

Here is a better pic of the hanger
Old 05-15-2005, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had that problem with my qtp's. if i put it low enough that it didn't bang my floor, than it would scrape on everything. if i put high enough to keep it from scraping then it would bang (i even took a sledge hammer to floor pan to help, but it didn't help much). i just put a poly motor mount on my drivers side and it solved the problem. it idles way smoother and it feels a lot better when i launch. i can't wait to do my passanger side once i have the patience (it's not a very fun job to do)
Old 05-16-2005, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SLPSS01
Here is a better pic of the hanger
where did you get that? or did you make it? my y pipe is driving me apeshit..
Old 05-17-2005, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

prothane poly motor mounts at:

www.thunderracing.com

Problem will be solved. Period.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:58 AM
On The Tree

Mine stop banging after awhile. What I did is look for marks to where its was hitting. I stuck a bar and pushed down on it. Until it went away.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:17 AM
On The Tree

where are you guys getting the mufflex hanger??
Old 05-17-2005, 08:17 AM
Teching In

Thunder racing sells the hanger. As far as getting mine to work I had to reposition it and drill a new hole into the floorpan. I also did the the hose mod and clamps while I was there and now I have no banging. ******* stupid that somebody can't design a Y-pipe for these things that doesn't have to be jimmy rigged.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chevy01SS
******* stupid that somebody can't design a Y-pipe for these things that doesn't have to be jimmy rigged.
That's what I thought I was getting with the TSP Y pipe.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:35 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys with Y-pipe bangin' problems.
Shove a piece of rigid insulation with the shiny heat resistant outer layer (yes, the Home Depot stuff!) between your Y-pipe and the floorboard where the banging occurs. Do this and your problems will go away. It's so simple, yet so many people won't do it.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:23 AM
Teching In

to fix mine I got the whole damn thing welded except for the header collectors. That fixed all of my problems with the TSP Y-pipe.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Guys with Y-pipe bangin' problems.
Shove a piece of rigid insulation with the shiny heat resistant outer layer (yes, the Home Depot stuff!) between your Y-pipe and the floorboard where the banging occurs. Do this and your problems will go away. It's so simple, yet so many people won't do it.
Thats because it looks like ****, and when you pay this amount of money for a car and the associated parts you want them to fit and look clean. I ended up doing it to fix my problems, but I'm still not happy with it.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:24 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Thats because it looks like ****, and when you pay this amount of money for a car and the associated parts you want them to fit and look clean. I ended up doing it to fix my problems, but I'm still not happy with it.
Is your car a showcar with mirrors under it?
Going after the Riddler?

I understand your frustration.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Junkie

i usually just shove a piece of heater hose between the ypipe and whereever its hitting
Old 05-17-2005, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nick D

www.thunderracing.com

What he said!
Old 05-17-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

******* stupid that somebody can't design a Y-pipe for these things that doesn't have to be jimmy rigged.
Yeah, SLP did... but look where it got em, everybody crying bloody murder because theres no ground clearance. If you want a 3 inch y-pipe you're going to have to give up ground clearance, or deal with banging, or put in poly motor mounts. Personally, i direct my anger towards GM engineers for not making decent exhaust provisions on these cars, i mean, look under a mustang sometime! Holy exhaust clearance batman!
Old 05-18-2005, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

I recently almost completely cured my problems with the Jet hots banging in almost the same place. I loosened all the studs in my headers, loosend all my band clamps on my ENTIRE exhaust system. I got some 1 inch thick pieces of wood and wedged them in between all the spots where the pipe was close. Then I took my floor jack and jacked up the lowest spot in the exhaust a little which was the passenger side on mine after adding all the wedges. I re-tightend everything starting all the way at the back with the cat back and moved my way foward to the headers. Took out the wedges and problem is 95% gone. It only bangs now when I stomp on it from a dead stop, and it is only a quick hit, and it hits at the top of 1st at my 1-2 shift. I can live with this but will try and adjust my Muflex Bump Stop. I do plan on adding the poly mounts I have sitting on the shelf some day.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:32 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nick D
so you're the reason I couldn't regsiter with that user name -lol

-Nick D.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:23 AM
Launching!

I feel like mine may be banging on the torque arm It is close to the floor board in a few spots, but seems right up against the torque arm. It bangs/rubs under "spirited" acceleration...

Quick Reply: Help!! Y pipe banging problems