Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wierd noise either trans or rear end!???

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy wierd noise either trans or rear end!???

I drive a 99 Ta a4. when i start my car and back out of my drive way i hear a whirrr sound under my car and when i put it in drve i dont hear it. but occasionally when i accelerate from a stop it feels kinda sluggish until it gets above 1500 rpms.i then i dont feel it any more. but i cant tell where the noise is coming from but i know its either the rear end or the trans. does any one have advice or have had that problem themselves?
Old 05-18-2005, 12:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to say without actually hearing the car in person.

Are you sure your not hearing the Air pump? Sound coming from the drivers side front fender?
Old 05-18-2005, 12:48 AM
Teching In

A little bird once told me F-bods have a problem around 80K with the rear ends. What's ure mileage? I already fixed mine. depends on ure definition of a whirr, as to what spund you're hearing. When a rear end goes real bad it sounds like bolts dropped into a food processor muffled by a couple of matresses... in case you've ever heard that before...
Old 05-18-2005, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LoveHisBird
A little bird once told me F-bods have a problem around 80K with the rear ends. What's ure mileage? I already fixed mine. depends on ure definition of a whirr, as to what spund you're hearing. When a rear end goes real bad it sounds like bolts dropped into a food processor muffled by a couple of matresses... in case you've ever heard that before...

wel my car has about 74000 miles on it. how much did urs cost to fix? i wanna put mabe 3:73 if i have to replace them. i had a rear end go bad on a porsche i owned and it still ran fine it just sounded like a cheap turbo spooling up in my rear end when i was in 4th and 5th gear. but this one doesn't make any noise when i'm driving. i di notice it more after i made a little pedal to the metal run to about 130. but since my first post about it i can barely notice it anymore so i don't know i'll just see what happens