Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

grinding a weld

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinding a weld

I've got two pipes... one inside the other, welded together.... I'm attempting to grind the weld to seperate the pipes. It looks like i've ground through the weld, that is, it looks like i can see the flat surface of the inside pipe and the edge of the outside pipe... but theres no crack between the two. Should i keep going? I'm trying to save the inside pipe (end of my y-pipe) should i just grind away at the end of the outside pipe until there's a clear seperation?

any help is greatly appreciated
Old 05-16-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

Hey Boss...

Let me make sure I understand what you're doing. You've got a slip joint (1 piece inside the other by maybe 1" to 2") right? And its welded, so that it doesn't move or leak, right?

You ground through the weld, but it won't come apart, do I follow you correctly?

My suggestions would include
1.) Try twisting / wiggling the two pipes (to get them to slide apart).
2.) I've had good success by slicing off the outside pipe past where the inside pipe would stop. Then slicing along the outside pipe lengthwise. Then you should be able to "peel" the pieces off of the inside pipe.
3.) Just to make it easy, make sure you're using a cutoff blade (1/16" or .045" if you've got one) to do the slicing. (Just don't try grinding with that, bad things will happen if you side load those thin wheels).

'Dreamin'
Old 05-16-2005, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the suggestion! But I just bought another y-pipe for $30... to me, a fair exchange of $ for some time and labor saved.