Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mufflex 4", GMMG, Corsa, Or True Duals

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 11:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mufflex 4", GMMG, Corsa, Or True Duals

I am doing a cam only, I have a G5X2 Comp Grind now that I am selling b/c I want something diff. will prob. get a F13, and was wondering which exhaust would be the best for my application. I am getting FAST 90/90, Kooks Longtubes, but can't decide on exhaust. I have a Mufflex 4" System right now with a 4" Flowmaster and also have a 4" Spintech I am going to put inplace of the flowmater if I don't sell the mufflex, but I am thiking of getting Corsa w/ 3" Cutout, or GMMG w/ 3" Cutout or doing a 3" true dual system with Dr. Gas x-pipe and dual spintech mufflers, which would flow the best and have decent clearance? Car is Lowered with Intrax (2 1/4").

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 05-18-2005, 11:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

my vote goes to GMMG but i may be a little biased. it will definitely clear better with those springs.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
my vote goes to GMMG but i may be a little biased. it will definitely clear better with those springs.
So far I was thinking it seemed best for my setup (Sound Good, Look Good, and Clear ok),

How do you like yours?

Last edited by ZULater01; 05-19-2005 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

whats the bs flag for?

anyhow i really like it. a little rasp b/c i don't have a y-pipe but its a small patch that you can shift around. i'll prolly put a bullet or something in there.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
whats the bs flag for?

anyhow i really like it. a little rasp b/c i don't have a y-pipe but its a small patch that you can shift around. i'll prolly put a bullet or something in there.
lol, sorry. I don't know how it got there, I guess I accidently clicked it .

Good to hear though, I like a lil rasp. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are you not happy with the 4" Mufflex then? The Spintech splitcase isn't going to help with flow any (only going to make the car quieter).

The only two cat-back systems I like on longtube header set-ups (w/ cats of course) are the GMMG & Hooker Aerochamber. My GMMG is DEEP at WOT (I'm serious, no other cat-back has such a deep tone near redline like the GMMG does). Kinda quiet at idle, but very loud everywhere else with NO rasp or drone. I use Kooks longtubes with a highflow catted Y-pipe FYI. The thing dyno-proven flows great BTW. I love the unique look of the chambered pipes under the car too. Everything is fairly similar regarding the Hooker, only it is quieter, not quiet as deep (somewhat different tone), and isn't stainless steel. But if you want something cheap, the Hooker is a good choice for your set-up. I personally just don't like Corsa's tone with longtubes (too high-pitched and screaming sounding IMO).

From what others have tested, a 3" cutout isn't going to show much (if any at all) over those two systems on a cam only LS1. And I would think a Y-pipe into cat-back set-up would have better ground clearance than a true dual system dumped on a lowered car. I'm going to eventually lower my car and I don't forsee any problems with the Kooks/catted Y I already have...

Mike
Old 05-19-2005, 12:52 AM
12 Second Club

I havn't installed the Mufflex...bought it used, and havn't installed yet, waiting to get the car running 1st.

The GMMG sounds good and looks good it sounds like from what I hear and I love how it looks under the car, but don't care for either of the tips but love the Corsa Tips, and If corsa screams like you say at WOT with Longtubes then I am sold on it.

If I could get the sound from my car of a vette with corsa titanium mufflers then I would pay $1k for it, I love that sound on their website.

On a side note, I don't use cats, I like the free flowing, loud, screaming sound better.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:57 AM
12 Second Club

I was talking about the Pace Car system on the Corsa website www.corsaperf.com the launch sound is amazing and I would kill for that sound.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you want a higher-pitched screaming (Nascar-like) sound/tone, then definitely run longtube headers & no cats into a Corsa cat-back system. Especially if you already like the Corsa tips! The GMMG is the exact opposite. It is louder at idle and cruise, but roars (not screams) with a very deep muscle car rumble at WOT. Both systems will sound raspy in the mid rpms due to a lack of cats BTW.

Your LS1 won't sound quite like that Vette you're talking about, but the Corsa will give it a pretty good ear-peircing sound at full throttle. I don't like it, but that's because I like a "deep" sounding small block V8 personally...
Old 05-19-2005, 01:11 AM
12 Second Club

Cool, thanks for the info! I like to hear first hand accounts of the systems like you provided. I appreciate the help and will prob. order the Corsa this weekend. Thanks once again!
Old 05-19-2005, 07:15 AM
TECH Regular

Check this out for the Corsa "scream"

http://www.ls1sounds.com/Corsa/corsa...-slow-rev.mpeg
http://www.ls1sounds.com/Corsa/corsa...t_WS6-SRT4.wmv

I love the way my car sounds
Old 05-19-2005, 10:14 AM
Launching!

I say duals. Best gain for the buck. If you are just planning on headers and a Y-pipe, get a regular catback (and i wouldnt spend the money on GMMG, I'd get Magnaflow or Dynomax). If you plan on heads/cam or a power adder, definately duals.

Personally Im just cutting my exhaust off at the end of the Y-pipe and im welding on a bullet muffler because a turbo is going in this winter and there is no sense in buying an expensive catback or duals that Im never going to use
Old 05-19-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I love the way my Corsa sounds. When I ran it without cats the sucker would crack eardrums at WOT! It does have a distinctive sound no other catback has especially at WOT. BTW a 3" cutout on my setup was good for 4rwhp @ 5rwtq over the Corsa. Corsa flows pretty well.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

See my mods below plus i have a t-rex killer Joe o cam. I am actually changing out from teh gmmg to the magnaflow because it is so loud. It is like thunder when I start it and it is so loud and choppy. Sounds the best and people have told me they never have heard a better ls1 but my neighbors are complaining so I have to quiet it down.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:03 PM
dug
Banned

Id keep the mufflex and get a 4" magnaflow muffler and use the 4" qtp ypipe for the kooks headers.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZULater01
and If corsa screams like you say at WOT with Longtubes then I am sold on it.
The bad thing about Corsa is the muffler's fall apart on the inside. My buddy has LT's, ORY, Corsa and it sounds awesome, but he's had to reweld the muffler like 5 times in order for it to stay together, not worth the $750 if you ask me. The last weld he did, he had to reinforce the side of the muffler where the over-the-axle pipe comes into the muffler. Now I run a 3.5 Mufflex with a Dynomax ultraflo muffler single exit and it sounds pretty good through LT's, ORY. I have a TR224/112 cam in it and it sounds nice at idle, awesome at WOT. I've had the GMMG on my car with the LT's, ORY, I am actually thinking about putting it back on because I miss the sound of it so much (have it sitting in my garage right now). The GMMG had a sound to it that I haven't heard with other exhaust, a few of my friends have told me this.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm another Mufflex user but with the same Dynomax muffler as above. My car picked up nearly 3 tenths in the quarter over my stock catback with Magnaflow muffler welded in. I would say keep the mufflex and put a magnaflow or dynomax straight through muffler in it for all~out flow. Not to mention how it would "grump" with that cam! I've never cared for how GMMG's sound, I know a lot of people love 'em but to each their own I guess....
Old 05-19-2005, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

I remember hearing that about Corsa back in the day but havn't heard anything recent, is his older? I wonder if they fixed this problem in the new ones?
Old 05-19-2005, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Supposedly Corsa fixed the problem a good time ago. It's usually the older muffler's having the problems. I've had mine for 2yrs and no problems.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

I don't know how old my buddies muffler is. I was looking into Corsa myself, but everyone ran me away telling me about the muffler falling apart.