Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Man, Mustangs with the 4V engine and duals sound AWESOME!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Man, Mustangs with the 4V engine and duals sound AWESOME!

How in the heck do we make our LS1 cars sound like that? I currently have pacesetter LT headers, carsound cats, and 12" bullets. It's a 2.5" X pipe true dual over the axle setup, but it still doesn't sound as awesome as a 4V Mach or Cobra Mustang. What setup do I need to run to sound as close as possible to the sound of the Mustangs? I'm also tired of the high gear highway interior drone that I get between 1600-2000 rpm when I'm in 4th-6th gear. I want this to go away with the new setup, but still sound like the mean sounding stangs. So do I run.......

2.5" or 3" duals
X or H pipe
!cats????
What mufflers????

Thinking about dumping in front of the axle this time, but was afraid I would make my drone worse. Maybe some mufflers drone worse than others. Can anyone give me some input?
Old 05-21-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

You like the mustang sound, get a mustang.
Old 05-21-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by setxws6
You like the mustang sound, get a mustang.
Damn, denial is a biotch isn't man.

For others who do know or want to know what to do I did find some helpful info on choosing between the X and H pipe.

"Now let’s discuss the two main designs for mid pipes, H and X type. An H pipe gets its name because there is a piece of pipe that connects each side of the pipe that connects to the header collectors (hence the name H pipe). This pipe is supposed to help equalize the pressure and thereby create a better scavenging effect. An X pipe however, has each side of the pipe meet in an X type junction. Again the idea is to equalize pressure and create better scavenging. As a general rule, H pipes allow for more low-end torque and slightly less Horse Power than X pipes do. Also, the sound note is quite different. The X pipe has a raspy sound while the H pipe is more “muscle car” sounding. As mentioned, the mid-pipe choice seems to be a personal sound preference and most people who use chambered mufflers opt for the H pipe, while the straight through users tend to choose the X pipe. Typically, the X pipe/straight through muffler combination yields higher HP and lower torque than the H pipe/chambered muffler design."

Now, does anyone have input other than comments?
Old 05-21-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

it wont sound exactly like it but you get yourself a pair of 2 chamber flowmasters and a dual x or h pipe and run them aout the back

question is will you have room? ... the mufflers need to be before the axles
Old 05-21-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

My exhaust man said that 3" duals with H pipe dumped in front of the axle with dual Flowmaster 2 chambers mufflers would sound damn close. I think that it would sound much better than my current setup.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sound is the reason that even though i love my chevy, i could never be a ford hater. But to answer your question, It just aint going to happen. The very architecture of the motor mas a lot to do with the mustang's sound. The firing order, the cam profiles, even the head design help give it that distinctive sound. You can however get your LS1 to sound like an AMAZING ls1, and as it grows on you, you may even like that sound as much or better, albeit different from a stout cobra. First thing to do is ditch the cats, as thats what holding up that nice crisp staccatto. Next up, H pipe. You already have an X pipe, so you might as well leave that there. Next, get some chambered mufflers. Flowmasters never do sound quite right on an LS1, IMHO. Id suggest some sweet thunders. Lastly, go past the axle, preferably over it, but going under will suffice if you bend the pipe to go under, and bends are key here. You would be amazed how the last leg of the exhaust tacked on after the mufflers really alters the sound from a dumped setup. Way more livable.

Thats the setup I would go with if I didnt have to daily drive my car 70 miles a day.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

Do like GuitsBoy said, and the MUSTANG will be admiring your exhaust as your passing him
Old 05-21-2005, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just re-read your initial post. Heres what I would try and do if I were in your position. Gut or otherwise totally eliminate you cats. I assume your current bullets are in the normal location? Replace them with 12" or 18" sweet thunders. After the axle, add another pair of 18" or 24" sweet thunders if you dont mind some custom work to mount them tansversly, otherwise just do another set of 12". Youll have that nice chambered muffler sound, and the staged mufflers eliminate some of the harmonics that cause drone. I ran a setup like this for a short while using 4 bullets and ELIMINATED my drone completely.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do sound sweet. Flomasters on a 5.0 sound pretty good too. The LS1's with duals sound badass in a different way, the stangs are a little higher pitch and can sound more like a ferrari at high rpm where the LS1 sounds more like your typical musclecar V8.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:14 AM
TECH Addict

I don't think you'll ever get your car to sound to close to a 4v mustang. They are just two different cars. I have never heard an LS1 combination that sounded a whole lot like a mustang. I agree though, they do sound good. The sound of the LS1 has grown on me, but I still think I like the sound of the 4.6 mustangs better. I think the 4.6's sound better than the 5.0's also. If you had an LS1 that sounded like a mustang you'd have the best of both worlds. When I traded my mustang for the trans am, I feel like I traded great sound for a great engine. Not exactly a bad trade. Like the others have said, your best bet is probably to go with some chambered mufflers. The best sounding LS1's I've heard have had some sort of a chambered muffler setup.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:36 AM
Launching!

mustangs sound good, it's a law or somthing....
now if they where only fast...
Old 05-22-2005, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jaredwayt
mustangs sound good, it's a law or somthing....
now if they where only fast...
Never ran across a pullied 03+ cobra, huh?
Old 05-22-2005, 08:55 AM

When I ran my dual exhaust, I used a 3" Dr. Gas X and 2 one chamber Delta Force Race mufflers by Flowmaster and I got alot of comments about it sounding better than most Mustangs. Its funny because most of the comments came from the Mustang guys. I even had cops give me thumbs up alot.

Standing next to it with my big cam, you could feel it in your chest like the old BBCs I miss it alot
Old 05-22-2005, 08:57 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Country Boy
Standing next to it with my big cam, you could feel it in your chest like the old BBCs
Oh yeah!
Old 05-22-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Damn, well I guess I'm considering my next setup to be 3" with H pipe dumped with chambered mufflers. I think that I will try the 2 chamber 40 series Flowmasters as I don't want mad loud just bad *** sound. I think the 40 series will be plenty loud without cats.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

if u wanna sound like a stang, take your cats off, and run an H pipe, not an X.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

power over sound. i run GMMG b/c it delivers both. duals w/sweet thunders would be kickass.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Country Boy
When I ran my dual exhaust, I used a 3" Dr. Gas X and 2 one chamber Delta Force Race mufflers by Flowmaster and I got alot of comments about it sounding better than most Mustangs. Its funny because most of the comments came from the Mustang guys. I even had cops give me thumbs up alot.

Standing next to it with my big cam, you could feel it in your chest like the old BBCs I miss it alot
I was just about to post the same thing!! I have 3" TD's w/ Dr. Gas X and 1-chamber flowmasters dumped, and it sounds incredible!! I get tons of compliments and alot of jealous stares from the mustang guys. My other friends w/ LS1's say it sounds like a mustang but better.
I dont have a cam yet, but Country Boy's right...standing next to it, you can feel it, it sets off alarms daily!
Old 05-23-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

They sound nice, but I think I like the bark of my LTs and Borla now that I got rid of the rasp with a Borla XR1 in the I-pipe. It sounds like raw Chevy power without the need for fancy heads or DOHCs.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
power over sound. i run GMMG b/c it delivers both. duals w/sweet thunders would be kickass.
that's what i got...it's the closest thing to a mustang that you'll ever get imo...i prefer it over a mustang actually...

Quick Reply: Man, Mustangs with the 4V engine and duals sound AWESOME!