Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

#4 misfire post header install. please help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default #4 misfire post header install. please help.

after i and an LS1 knowledgable friend installed my pacesetters w/ emission fittings, i've had a misfire on cylinder #4. checked the plug, seemed fine, we bent the ERG tube from the header so it wasn't in direct contact with the spark plug wire and then covered the wire with some insulating wrap type stuff he had lying around. changed ALL the wires to MSD since i didn't know if the wires had ever been changed.

result is, it runs a lot smoother than it did, but i can still hear a slight misfire through the cut-out.

now there is a part you should know, my tuner (upon detecting the misfire) backed the timing off a little to help combat it, until i changed the wires, plugs etc. would the backed-off timing still be accounting for slight miss i still hear?

so am i missing something here? i'm going to check all the connections and coil pack connections tonight and see if that solves anything.

should i just remove the header and hack off that egr tube that's in close range with the the #4 wire? i will if i have to.

thanks guys. i appreciate help.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

i would pull all of the egr stuff out, you dont need it, then go back and check all of your connections
Old 05-24-2005, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by transamsixspeed
i would pull all of the egr stuff out, you dont need it, then go back and check all of your connections

yeah, hindsight is 20/20. i got the block off plates, but this is the tube that pacesetter put on their header, and it's in the ***-wrong place. if i can't remedy this, im going to start hacking up my header and weld some **** up.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

update: i got pissed and removed the egr tube from the header. yes, i hacked it off. sealed up the hole, and the slight 'miss' is still there.

slowly but surely narrowing it down. now onto the spark plug, the coil, & injector. i am also kind of kicking myself in the *** too because the car was running 100% before i started modding it, haha.