Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do you change cam/crank position sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you change cam/crank position sensors?

heres a little history before i begin, 99 ws6, my car was idling bad and bucking while i was driving a week ago until the car died out and refused to stay on, now it starts and immediatly shuts off two seconds later. if i rev the car up to 3grand as soon as it starts i can rev the gas to keep it alive, once it falls below 3grand it gives out. i have solid and stable fuel pressure, ignition relay is ok, tps sensor is ok, and no codes. what im getting to is the crank and cam sensors could be bad. i plan on changing them starting with the easiest one first. i dont know where the crank sensor is located but the cam sensor is located in a very tight spot. basically what im asking is, how do you change the cam sensor? where is the crank sensor located and how do you change it? do you think the crank sensor could be causing this problem or would it only be the cam sensor? also, if i change the crank sensor does the pcm have to relearn the crank position (i have no clue how to do this)?? i hope i was as clear as possible as you can tell this situation has made me very confused! please help!
Old 05-24-2005, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On my 00 if you take out the starter you will see a plug and 1 bolt. take out the bolt and pull gently, might be alittle tight. The cam sensor is behind the intake manifold, I don't think you can get it out with out removing the intake. Its to the left of the oil press sending unit.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Also when I did my motor swap I forgot to plug in the crank sensor and nothing worked, no spark no fuel. I also got a crank position sensor code and I just reflashed my tune W/ hp tuner.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

are you sure there is no way to get the cam sensor off without removing the intake? i have never done that and really dont want to attempt it. i guess im going to start with the crank sensor and see what happenes.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

It will be next to impossible to get to the cam position sensor with the intake on.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

where is the crank sensor located and how do you change it? do you think the crank sensor could be causing this problem or would it only be the cam sensor? also, if i change the crank sensor does the pcm have to relearn the crank position (i have no clue how to do this)??
conan is right. you will have to do a relearn on it if it has thrown a code, or at least that is how it was explained to me.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

there are no codes, is there any way for me to test to see if the crank and cam sensors are malfuntioning before i go ahead and remove them?

Quick Reply: how do you change cam/crank position sensors?