Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poly motor mount impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Poly motor mount impressions

I installed a poly motor mount today and took my car for a drive a little while ago. First off, let me say that it was a major pain in the ***, and I only did the driver's side mount! I bought the motor mount at the local Autozone since they were on back order from one of the sponsors. Once I took off the stock motor mount, and finally drilled out those damned rivets, I installed the poly mount in the clam shell. Had to use a 6" C clamp to hold it together since the mount was a tight fit. Then, I just used three bolts with locking nuts I bought from the local hardware store to hold the clam shell shut.

Dropping the alternator is a must, unless you have the headers off. For some reason, I couldn't get the 1/2" nut off the alternator that bolts a wire down. It kept spinning the whole connection, so I decided to just let the alternator rest on the sway bar. I also cut off the metal tabs protruding from the poly mount, otherwise two of them would interfere with the bolts that hold the shell to the block. When I finally finished the install, I started her up. My car smoked for a little bit, nothing major though, just like when you install new springs or headers.

My set-up consists of Jet-Hot long tubes and the infamous banging Hooker off road Y-pipe. Before the mount, my Y-pipe used to always bang the floorboard underneath the driver's seat when I would shift at WOT. On the drive though, no banging at all when shifting at WOT. The poly mount also reduced vibration in my shifter stick at idle (used to vibrate a lot). When I popped my hood open, the engine also doesn't shake as much as it used to. It looks like it's stock again, no shaking all over the engine bay. To me, this mod was definetely worth the time and money spent.

I read about people complaining that poly mounts cause too much vibration in the car, and I've found out that isn't the case on my car. I now have a poly transmission mount, torque arm mount, and driver's side mount. I couldn't be happier.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:09 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed solid motor mounts on both sides, and a poly trans mount. My install was much easier than yours; just unbolted the stock molunts and bolted in Spohn solid mounts. Of course I had the engine, transmission, and K-member out of the car!

I agree, the vibrations are not bad at all, motor doesn't shake, shifter does't shake, exhaust doesn't shake. And you save some weight as well.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Glad to hear it! I'm probably unique and absurd in my thinking, but it seems to me that poly causes more vibration problems when its used in isolated areas, like a trans mount with rubber everywhere else. but when all the drive parts are done up with poly, it seems that they compliment eachother well... Its probably all in my head though.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:28 AM
TECH Junkie

I got two poly engine mounts, 1 tranny rubber mount, the vibration is pretty good, also helped me with alot of the banging issues. I did the install with the motor out of the car as well so it wasnt that bad for me.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I swaped mine when doing the K member. Made it easy. With poly motor and trans mounts, and a BMR extreme TA I get a lot less vibration than stock.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

I got my poly motor mounts in, and will be attempting to install them on Sunday.
I called a few sponsors on here and the one that was recommened was out till mid next week, and everyone else didn't have them. So the last sponsor I called had a pair left. Gave me a god price to.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

took me 2 days to do both...driver's side sux
Old 05-26-2005, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

The reason you did this was to eliminate the Y banging which you have done so maybe this is a stupid question but is there anything wrong with just doing the driver's side mount to save the aggravation of doing the other side ?
Old 05-26-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. A lot of people do that very same thing.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have both in, and what I noticed is the CAR shaking but not the interior or engine bay. Can see it in the rear view mirrors.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn, i really didnt think it was that tough. I did it with the engine in the car. Took me prolly about 8 hours (with food, and curse breaks) by myself. but can defiantely feel the difference
Old 05-26-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I installed the driver side after my cam install, and I also felt a HUGE improvement. I went with them to get rid of banging y-pipe problems, and it eliminated the problem completely. I would definately recommend this mod to anyone who's considering it. I have no problems with vibration at all.

Also, I didn't think the install was bad at all. Maybe I was expecting it to be worse because of all the horror stories I read on here. I only did the driver side, and it took about 3 hours beginning to end. Absolutely worth the work.