Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch can ? and some install pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 09:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Catch can ? and some install pics

Here are some pics of my catch can. Was wondering if the lines were ran correctly. I did a search and I came up w/ 2 different pics and 2 different ways of running the lines. Which is the right way? Also, after I installed this, my car idles like it has a vaccum leak. Idle rests at 1500 rpm on the way down for a second or 2 then will hit idle, and even drops to 500 rpm at times. Before this, I had valve cover breather on the back driver side valve cover w/ the stock PCV check valve and had the vaccum port on the intake plugged off. Now I have the setup in the pics, w/ out the PCV check valve.

BACK OF DRIVER SIDE VALVE COVER

Old 05-27-2005, 12:24 AM
Launching!

I don't know if the missing check valve is causing your problem. Mine is set up like yours and my car idles fine. The connection on the valve cover looks a bit loose. See if you can get the hose on there better and use one of the clamps that came with the catch can kit to make sure you have a good seal.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:33 AM
11 Second Club

Samba242: The top pic is not the hose connecting to another, it is a factory heat shielding on the stock hose. i have the hose that came w/ the catch can slid on further down w/ a clamp and u can't see it in the pic.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:51 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

might be a stupid question, but are you sure that you have the small valve closed on the bottom of the catch can? It easily makes a large vaccum leak, and would fit right in line with what your problem sounds like.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:20 AM
TECH Regular

Hooked up as in the pictures, it will have a big leak. Isnt the PCV supposed to be in the tube that runs from the can to the intake manifold. The piece that goes in the back drivers side valve cover is just a big open hole. Later John
Old 05-27-2005, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

The valve is very tightly closed, I can't make it any tighter

Ojustracing: Not sure I understand what u mean. The hole in the back of the valve cover as 45 degree fitting (2nd picture) in it so I can put the supplied hose in the kit on. And the other hose runs from the catch can to the vacuum port just behind the throttle body.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm by no means an expert, but I do believe you need to keep the PCV valve when using a catch can. The PCV valve should be placed before the top fitting of the catch can...your side fitting looks like it's connected properly. I'd put the PCV valve back in and see if it helps your idle.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:50 PM
9 Second Club

stick your finger over the valve while the car is running. Make sure it is making a clean seal, or if it is still losing vacuum through the valve hole.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:52 PM
11 Second Club

ok, Will check those things. I have a bigger problem now, if u want, check the link. It seems to idle fine now but......
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/328169-stupid-problem-helppp.html
Old 05-30-2005, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

i've heard of catch cans before, but never understood them. what are they, and what are they for? do they help performance?
Old 05-30-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

The way I understand it: The PCV system ventilates the crankcase...oil flying off of the moving internal parts can create a mist and these tiny drops of oil mix with the ventilated air. This "oil-laden" air is then circulated through the PCV system and is reintroduced into the intake tract. This oil can build up in the intake, can lead to detonation and oil consumption. The catch can traps and removes the oil from the ventilated air before it can be introduced to the intake air tract. Hopefully, the experts can add to or adjust this explanation...
Old 05-30-2005, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

where do you find these catch cans?
Old 05-30-2005, 11:22 PM
10 Second Club

AMW, a sponsor. Very good mod.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Click:
Old 06-03-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

I need to invest in one of these. I have alittle oil on the inside of my blade. I'm looking to get the blue but they are out of stock right now so i will wait alittle.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

I just put mine in. Very simple and I was surprised at the quality of the AMW unit and bracket. Even the little black inlet and outlet parts were machined steel/aluminum. Run the pcv connected hose into the top of the can and run the hose from the lower part of the can into the intake.

MY problem w/ the AMW can is that when I assemble the catch can and screw the lid on the top PCV hose "inlet" points the opposite way of the outlet to the t-body and I cannot run the hoses without bending. I tried to screw both the inlet and lid on numerous times hoping that they would position correctly but they always come out the same (pointing opposite directions opposite) Maybe I'll have to grind something anybody get this ?
Old 06-03-2005, 09:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mirek
I just put mine in. Very simple and I was surprised at the quality of the AMW unit and bracket. Even the little black inlet and outlet parts were machined steel/aluminum. Run the pcv connected hose into the top of the can and run the hose from the lower part of the can into the intake.

MY problem w/ the AMW can is that when I assemble the catch can and screw the lid on the top PCV hose "inlet" points the opposite way of the outlet to the t-body and I cannot run the hoses without bending. I tried to screw both the inlet and lid on numerous times hoping that they would position correctly but they always come out the same (pointing opposite directions opposite) Maybe I'll have to grind something anybody get this ?
You may be able to put some teflon tape on it and get it to tighten in the correct position
Heres how I did mine.
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/6571/catch_can_001.jpg
Old 06-04-2005, 01:32 PM
9 Second Club

ok, for final clarification, which is the correct order?

TB--->PCV valve--->catch can

or

TB--->catch can--->PCV valve

????? does anyone know for sure?!
Old 06-04-2005, 02:32 PM
10 Second Club

After reading the install intructions on the AMW website, it states the Hose from PCV will connect to the fitting on top of the can (lid), and the vacuum source (i.e. throttle body, intake) will connect to the fitting on the side of the can.

Warning: Catch Can will not work as intended if hoses are installed incorrectly.

As far as I can see the PCV line...where ever it comes from...attaches to the top, then the side of catch can attaches to the intake/TB.

Not sure what the confusion is, am I missing something in the directions? I plan on doing the mod myself soon as they get the brackets back in stock, so if this is incorrect, somebody please clarify..

Dan

Old 06-04-2005, 03:17 PM
10 Second Club

It says it in that order cause most pcv's are in the valve cover. It should read-Hook valve cover to top of can and TB/Intake to side port. As long as your not pulling vacuum through it backwards it should work as expected.

Quick Reply: Catch can ? and some install pics