Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is it to repair broken bolts on stock manifolds?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How hard is it to repair broken bolts on stock manifolds?

I'm looking for some 01,02 manifolds to use with my Phamspeed kit, but all the ones on ebay have at least one of the bolts that go to the Y pipe broken off. How hard a fix is that? Can I just drill out the hole and weld a new one in?
Thanks,
Brad
Old 05-29-2005, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anybody??
Old 05-29-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can drill out and the hole carefully and re-thread it if you want. I tried doing that on a couple bolts that broke off on my manifold-to-header connections but those F#$%ing SOB's were absolutely ridiculous in getting out. I ended up just drilling out the hole completely killing the threads and using a nut and bolt combo.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
You can drill out and the hole carefully and re-thread it if you want. I tried doing that on a couple bolts that broke off on my manifold-to-header connections but those F#$%ing SOB's were absolutely ridiculous in getting out. I ended up just drilling out the hole completely killing the threads and using a nut and bolt combo.
Thanks for the help.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes...i tried and tried...those things would not come out for anything...i used my best set of vice grips and **** loads of pb blaster and the pliers were just eating the metal away...they would not turn...period...they were rusted pretty good though...i just ended up finding some that were ok...i also used the bolt/nut on one of them...the only prob is..on two (i think) you cant do that bc the hole is right against the actual manifold and there would be no room to put a nut on the backside...i belive its on the passgr side...you will see one of them there is no way to get a nut on it..due to it being right up agains the manifold body.
matt
Old 05-29-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by redbandit98
yes...i tried and tried...those things would not come out for anything...i used my best set of vice grips and **** loads of pb blaster and the pliers were just eating the metal away...they would not turn...period...they were rusted pretty good though...i just ended up finding some that were ok...i also used the bolt/nut on one of them...the only prob is..on two (i think) you cant do that bc the hole is right against the actual manifold and there would be no room to put a nut on the backside...i belive its on the passgr side...you will see one of them there is no way to get a nut on it..due to it being right up agains the manifold body.
matt
Yep, you're right about that one... I got lucky and it was two bolts on the driver's side that had plenty of room for a nut and bolt combo.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If there is a piece of the stud sticking out, heat the broken stud cherry red with a torch first before you try and remove it and it should unscrew.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
If there is a piece of the stud sticking out, heat the broken stud cherry red with a torch first before you try and remove it and it should unscrew.
I tried that too, along with easy-outs... still no dice.