Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Compressor install help

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 05:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A/C Compressor install help

A friend of mine cracked mine by tightening a bolt too much and I got a used one. What do I need to do to install it? Thanks
Old 05-29-2005, 09:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a pretty straight forward install (remove belt, unbolts compressor, unbolt a/c line), but the weight makes it tedious. I recommend removing the front sway bar for better access since you have to install it from the bottom. I would also leave the a/c line and remove it after the compressor is installed because of limited access in the back.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you need to Add PAG oil to the larger port on the compressor. about 4-6 oounces of PAG150. after you get everything bolted up you need to take it to a shop and have it recovered to pull out all the moisture. If you have never fooled with AC before I would leve it to a pro to recharge.

also, how long was the used compressor sitting up? There is about a 75% chance that the front seal will be bad and continue to leak after the install. Used compressors hardly ever work.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for all of your replys. I hope it does work. Its been sitting for like 9 months.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:20 PM
10 Second Club

DO NOT add 6-8 oz of oil. You need to get the old one off and drain it. Add the same amount of new oil in the new comp. plus 1 oz.
If you add too much oil it wont cool as good.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just remove the sway bar brackets and swing it down out of the way. Thats all the clearance you need. You may also move the transmission lines around if its an auto.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Whats the process in getting the oil out??
Old 05-29-2005, 07:33 PM
10 Second Club

Put a cup under the port while holding the compressor and rotate the hub till its all out.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

its really easy to bolt on, you can prob find an AC shop that will fill it with oil and then vacuum/charge it for cheap I bet.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

your not only replacing the oil thats in the compressor now, your replacing the oil that has been used up and worn out in the whole system. THAT is why you want to add about 6 ounces. When your replacing the drier and compressor you usualy add 9. Trust me. if your 1 or 2 ounces over it's not going to harm you in the least. being under how ever can harm you. most of the oil doesn't settle in the compressor.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:09 PM
10 Second Club

This is only true if you are gonna flush the entire system. From what he stated, it dosent sound like this is the case.
I dont know what went wrong with the A/C system in the first place, but if the compressor tore up it needs a new accumulator, oriface tube, and needs to be flushed.
Ive seen it too many times, when people half *** an A/C repair, and wonder why it dosent work properly.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the comp was cracked during an install. So there is no need for a flush. However if the system was open for a length of time the reciver/drier should be replaced anyway. On a dry system, 9 ounces is usualy normal. on a system with a comp and driver being replaced I usualy do 7 or 8, when just a comp I usualy do 6. It takes a very good amount of oil to cause any harm. The only time that I have ever seen it happen was when one of our mechanics added 9 ounces to a new import comp that was already full. We just opened up the high side and pulled it out. The 1 or 2 extra ounces isn't going to hurt him any. Besides. It's a used compressor. I would want as much oil in it as I could fit without being too much. Espeiclay since the front seal is going to be dry and it is for sure going to loose at least some oil for the first month that it's being run. In fact it might never seal again and could stand to lose a few ounces of oil along with all teh freon within a few months. If it was a new comp I would have said 4 ounces. I am just trying to keep him on the high side of safety.

Quick Reply: A/C Compressor install help