Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced the driver's side motor mount without removing the pedestal.

Old 05-31-2005, 06:48 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Replaced the driver's side motor mount without removing the pedestal.

I decided this weekend to put in a poly motor mount on the driver's side as well as seal a couple of exhaust leaks under the car. I had access to my brother-in-law's lift and air tools so I didn't think it would be too bad.

I got the car in the air, pulled the alternator and was going to start on the four pedestal bolts when my b-i-l said we shouldn't have to. I unbolted the four bolts on the block and then put a poll jack under the tranny and proceeded to unbolt the main bolt going through the rubber mount. Once that was out we slowly raised the motor and were able to slide out the mount with a few attempts.

Got the rivets drilled out, popped out the rubber put the new Energy Suspension mount in and put the mount back in the pedestal when I discovered that the tabs on the ES mount get in the way of sliding it into the pedestal and make it a pain to bolt up.

So out the mount came and I cut those tabs off and it went right back in no problems. The back top bolt is a real bear, but can be done with the headers in place, but patience is a must a quarter turn at a time.

Having access to a lift is a wonderful thing. My b-i-l told me I have full access (as long as he's not working on a car) any time I want. No more laying on my back doing mods....muhahaha.

Impressions:

I used to have a torque strap coming off the alternator going to the k-member which was effective but crude and I would have to replace the strap every six months or so. This mount is even better. The shifter is rock solid, no more engine shake and the car does have a more positive feel rowing through the gears. My only regret is I should have done this with a k-member swap, but I'll do that when I put on a new set of QTP headers this fall.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
...The back top bolt is a real bear, but can be done with the headers in place, but PATIENCE is a must a quarter turn at a time...
Amen. Emphasis added by me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replaced the driver's side motor mount without removing the pedestal.