Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd Electrical Problems... Help/Ideas/Expirience Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Odd Electrical Problems... Help/Ideas/Expirience Needed

Odd Electrical Problem #1:

Well this started randomly one day. What happens is that it seems that I have loss the ability to dim the lights on my dashboard, including the radio. When the headlights are on, either with the **** on or when its too dark, the brigtness of my dash can only be set to high or off. When the brightness **** is from no lights to about 3/4 of the way up, all the lights on the dash will be dead, including the radio led display. After 3/4 is will light up the dash lights really bright. I still have some adjustability in like the top 3/4 range of the dimmer **** but thats too bright for me.

Odd Electrical Problem #2:

Today I was driving and pulled up behind another car and noticed that my right front turn signal light bulb was burnt out. So I drove to the local auto supply and pulled out the bulb and sure enough it was burnt out. I bought two more and replaced in gave it a try. Well the right front turn signal will only come on when I turn on the running lights or the headlights. It will not come on like it should for the daytime running lights. Also it will not come on for the hazards or the turn signal, just headlights. When I turn on the right turn signal, the right turn arrow on the dash turns on but stays SOLID, it doesnt flash like the left turn arrow does. The right rear turn signal comes on but stays solid as well, and the front right turn signal still won't come on. When I turn on the hazards, both arrows on the dash flash, and all three signal lights flash except for the right front.

Anyone have any thoughts on either? Thanks
Old 05-31-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

For problem #1, I'd say the potentiometer in the switch is bad. I'd get a new sw from a jund yard.
#2, make sure you have the correct bulb in there. I went through this with my buddies 99 T/A. Same thing, turned out it was the wrong bulb. Hope this helps you out.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Was the problem with your buddies car exactly the same? I am pretty sure its the right bulb, its looks exactly the same. How did you find the right one? I just went into autozone and grabbed ones that matched.

For the dash light one I kinda agree with you. Except I don't know what I did to make it go bad all of a sudden.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

To the top
Old 06-02-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Was the problem with your buddies car exactly the same? I am pretty sure its the right bulb, its looks exactly the same. How did you find the right one? I just went into autozone and grabbed ones that matched.

For the dash light one I kinda agree with you. Except I don't know what I did to make it go bad all of a sudden.
A potentiometer can go bad at any time for any reason, they're pretty sensitive. They do weird stuff, too. About the bulb, I think we just went and looked it up at the parts store. It could be a bad contact on the plug, too. Does it look crappy? I'm sure you probably already looked at it, but that's where we started.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by USMARINE1108
A potentiometer can go bad at any time for any reason, they're pretty sensitive. They do weird stuff, too. About the bulb, I think we just went and looked it up at the parts store. It could be a bad contact on the plug, too. Does it look crappy? I'm sure you probably already looked at it, but that's where we started.
The thing is the light bulb works... The yellow front marker lights have two bulbs in them, and both light up just fine when I have the headlights on. But it wont flash for turn signal or turn on for daytime running lights.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
The thing is the light bulb works... The yellow front marker lights have two bulbs in them, and both light up just fine when I have the headlights on. But it wont flash for turn signal or turn on for daytime running lights.

I know, it's the same thing that happened with us! haha. Turned out to be the wrong bulb. If the resistance of the filament is different, it'll do some weird stuff.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:54 AM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also seen the sockets go bad. The lights being on all the time is too much for some of them.
The healamp switches do go, the rheostat in the switch can burn out. Should be checked.....
Old 06-03-2005, 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah dude u have to get the right bulb.. go to kragen or autozone, ur Bulb # should be in ur Handbook..
Old 06-04-2005, 01:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

I looked in the book and can find any bulb number. I dont see how I got the wrong bulb. It goes into the socket perfectly. It looks exactly like the stock bulb. It lights up fine. It just wont flash or turn on with the running lights. I think there are loose connections somewhere.

Anyone have the number for a new bulb?