Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What kind of Setup would you DO?
Pacesetter Lt's / Custom ORY y-pipe
27.78%
Jethot Lt's / Custom ORY y-pipe
0%
QTP Lt's / Custom ORY
38.89%
QTP Lt's / Custom Catted Y-pipe
33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Headers Sittin In Garage!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers Sittin In Garage!!!

Ok, here's the Deal... Everyone talks about gettin rid of there coated headers because of rust. I got a short budget and im looking to buy QTP Lt's, and get a custom made ORY or cat- Y-pipe. I'll ruffly have (not to brag, only for calculations) $1300 in a week, i know that sounds like alot but its not once you need em installed too. After buying QTP LTS= $800, and the custom Y ruffly $250... leaves me w/ $250. Noooooowww i need it installed... if my local muffler shop gives me a break thats probablly around $500-700!!! I'll need $250-350 more on top of that!!! Is this ridiculous or not? Once i buy my headers in a week for my birthday... they'll just be sitting in my garage. this is Ho Ho Ho i hope im on the Good boy's list this year or i'll never get em installed.... ****.

Then next i'll be saving for my Catback... any suggestions ?

Last edited by SSrookiekid; 05-31-2005 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you install the headers yourself, there are sites that give you instructions, and save the $250 (or more)
Any friends that owe you a favor, buy a couple guys dinner/lunch/beer, whatever, and have them help you
Old 05-31-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I did my headers myself, and I had never done that before, it wasn't hard at all. It was just kinda time consuming, but not hard. I have Jet-hot headers, and the headers are like 1 1/2 -2 years old, and have very little rust. But I wish I had gotten Kooks, looking back. And eventually I probably will get them.

In terms of the y-pipe, if you are worried about money, cats are going to cost you more, but you should also look into the local emissions laws where you are located. Also, most people determine, cats vs ory, based on sound preference. Everybody has there own opinion but, if money was no object, I would do stainless longtubes, w/ true duals, or if y-pipe only, w/cats. But in your situation, I would get jet-hot LTs, and then base your y-pipe off your choice. Good luck with it. I had LTs, ORY, w/ magnaflow, and thought it sounded good. But it doesn't compare to my LTs and duals now.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

yea... ive talked to alot of auto shops and they say its a pain in thee *** for the 02!!! Even if i were going to do it on my own... how am i suppose to get enough clearnce? Just stick a jack or two with some jack stands on 4x4 wood? Try tellin that too my dad when his buddy got crushed by his car and died that way.... sad eh. I guess my only choice is installation by a shop... bcuz none of my buddy's got a power lift lol.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I did mine without a lift, and without using any blocks of wood. I jacked my jack as high as it would go. From the bottom of the k-member to the garage floor I had 19in, and I was able to get the headers in no problem. It can definitely be done safely, but you might have to buy a new jack and/or stands.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Quick question... why do you prefer a Y-pipe w/ cats, then with out? I want my car to be loud and noisy at start-up, deep at idle, but not to loud where im turning cops heads and gettin writtin up for noise polution...
Old 05-31-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

cats are going to make it quieter, probably a little deeper, and a more "refined" sound. What I forgot to mention was that I would also have cutouts, if I had cats. But I still would prefer an x-pipe over any y-pipe. I have been through three different exhaust setups, and lots of money lol, to finally be happy with it. Try to hear some different setups if possible, words can't describe sound very well. And audio clips, give no perception of depth of sound, or volume.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

my advice is save for what you want or you wont be happy. if you want QTP's, save for QTP's. dont settle for less and want something new in a year.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:04 AM
11 Second Club

QTPs are the best..... your current headers will most likely eventually rust... sorry but thats the truth... mine rusted(jethot.hooker) so i sold them and got QTP
Old 06-01-2005, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

Do yourself a favor and install them yourself... once youve installed your first set of headers, you will wonder why anyone pays to have them installed. Change your plugs while you are at it. Also you have a F-body club near you? They could help you out.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rgriffin
Do yourself a favor and install them yourself... once youve installed your first set of headers, you will wonder why anyone pays to have them installed. Change your plugs while you are at it. Also you have a F-body club near you? They could help you out.
Yea i was thinking about getting an F-body club near me too help, but i don't know anyone. I kno this one guy... but idk if he kno's how to install headers? Spark plugs you mean? plugs?
Old 06-01-2005, 12:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSrookiekid
yea... ive talked to alot of auto shops and they say its a pain in thee *** for the 02!!!
Of course they are all going to tell you that, how do you think they are going to make any $ off you ? -lol
getting headers in these cars is a breeze. They slide right in you can even leave the plugs in the car.
Grab a friend to help and do it yourself. The $ you save can be used for your cat-back
Old 06-01-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

There is no way i would pay someone that kind of money to install headers, I would install them myself, but if you don't feel like it, find someone local and pay them to do it. It will be like half as much. I see you are in Florida, where at? If you are anywhere near Tampa or Orlando you shouldn't have ANY problem in getting them installed.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 777
There is no way i would pay someone that kind of money to install headers, I would install them myself, but if you don't feel like it, find someone local and pay them to do it. It will be like half as much. I see you are in Florida, where at? If you are anywhere near Tampa or Orlando you shouldn't have ANY problem in getting them installed.
I live in Coral springs, 30mins N of Ft. Lauderdale. No, its no problem living down here by miami to get em installed... its just gonna be trouble i know. Alright... if i plan on doing them myself i have some questions...
- ***some people talk about removing the oil filter? is it a must? and how if so... will oil overflow in my garage lol?
- ***How and the hell am i suppose to reach the bolts on the shorties??? There pretty dam hard to reach and idk what tools to use?
- ***The Y-pipe comes off by just a bolt? i don't get how their connected, by a clasp or some what brace?

Also... im getting a custom y-pipe made, after i get my headers installed... is it alright to run them with my stock y? ****Should i plan on installing them by the time my y-pipe will be done, and then the shop will weld on the Y???****
Old 06-01-2005, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

There is an install guide around here somewhere for pacesetters, I'm sure it would work for the others. I don't know where it is though.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:06 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LT install guide link (keep hitting next and ignore the k member grinding part) :

http://www.geocities.com/foff667/98Camaropg4.html

Last edited by SouthFL.02.SS; 06-01-2005 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:55 AM
Launching!

Hey SSRookiekid, in your other polls you were so adimate about getting the best headers and now you are confused? You had the right idea the first time . Go with your original idea of the QTP's/Kooks and be done with it. No peeling, no rust, more gains, what is there to even think about? Check around for better prices, you will find one. Do you know any mechanics? Im putting my Kooks on at my mechanics house, he has a lift. As far as the headers, I would check out all the sponsors on here, they have great deals on them sometimes, so you could find them for a GP. Spend a little extra now, it will be worth it in the end. And as far as a cat-back is concerned, if you really want loud, you might want to go with Loudmouth. Loudmouth + longtubes + ORY= LOUD. Some people say bad things about it because they dont like the sound, which is fine. I love the sound, its loud, sounds mean, and screams at WOT. It flows great and is stainless steel. So now Im going to have a full stainless steel exhaust!! Just remember, you get what you pay for. Make a decision that you will be happy with. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:56 AM
TECH Resident

yea... ive talked to alot of auto shops and they say its a pain in thee *** for the 02!!!

he's lying out his *** too. i have an 02 and mind went in just fine. all they want is your $$$.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:03 AM
12 Second Club

***some people talk about removing the oil filter? is it a must? and how if so... will oil overflow in my garage lol?
You don't need to remove the oil filter or even the spark plugs in fact.

How and the hell am i suppose to reach the bolts on the shorties??? There pretty dam hard to reach and idk what tools to use?
All the bolts should be fairly easy to get to from the top with basic tools, a ratchet, sockets, wrench,etc.

The Y-pipe comes off by just a bolt? i don't get how their connected, by a clasp or some what brace?
You can start unbolting the Y pipe first, it's a 2 or 3 bolt flange I forget. Soak the nuts/bolts with WD40 or PB Blaster first and that will help them come out easier.
there's a hanger on the passenger side that if I remember right connects to the trans. Then you'll unbolt the cats, they are also flanged on the stock mainfolds.It's all pretty straight forward stuff, pretty obvious when you see it.

Also... im getting a custom y-pipe made, after i get my headers installed... is it alright to run them with my stock y? ****Should i plan on installing them by the time my y-pipe will be done, and then the shop will weld on the Y???****
You won't be able to run your stock Y pipe with the headers. I would plan on having your custom Y in hand when you're ready to install. Also you should use band clamps to connect the header collectors to the Y pipe and Y to the catback. If you weld it you'll never be able to get the headers or Y off the car. If you plan on doing any other mods you'll want to be able to get the exhaust apart.

I'm not saying this to be a jerk so don't take it the wrong way but judging from your question about what will happen if you remove the oil filter if I were you I would either find someone with some experience who can help you or just pay to have it done like you planned. This is a 5hr + job for someone with experience working on cars and it sounds like you have none. It's always better to do things yourself and learn though.
good luck.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

It is good while not necessary, to change the plugs at the same time, at least I did.