Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP TD's w/cutout

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 11:58 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default TSP TD's w/cutout

Alright guys I should be getting my true duals and McChord cutouts this week and was wondering where I should place the cutouts. I'm thinking cutting the end section out of the first piece and welding in the cutouts. What do ya'll think
Old 06-06-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO it's overkill. However, the best place for the cutouts would be right after the headers.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:52 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The TSP TD's are so freakin' loud (and flow plenty enough)!!!! Why the cutouts?- (they actually will cut-off the X-junction's scavenging properties).
Old 06-06-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why? Because open headers sound ridiculous.
I am still considering putting cutouts into my duals, not for flow, but just for fun. I would weld the cutouts into the straight pipes, right after the connection to the collector.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:04 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

I've had loud TD's, open dual cutouts, you name it, I've run it. Bullet TD's are pretty damn wicked. Open dual cutouts, are similarly wicked. It's you're money, not mine .
Old 06-06-2005, 08:32 PM
11 Second Club

01TAFlyer hit it on the head
Old 06-06-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

damn, i never even thought of that. lol. ive been wanting to take off the duals for a weekend, just to see how it will be. but i could just do cutouts and be done with it. ah im so slow
Old 06-06-2005, 10:11 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01TAFlyer
Why? Because open headers sound ridiculous.
I am still considering putting cutouts into my duals, not for flow, but just for fun. I would weld the cutouts into the straight pipes, right after the connection to the collector.

throw some compression and a lumpy cam in the mix and them come back with that sentiment. i agree with carlos, the duals are loud as **** as it is. im getting rid of mine over the summer in favor of a 2.5" duals out the back with some real mufflers.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jrp
im getting rid of mine over the summer in favor of a 2.5" duals out the back with some real mufflers.
thats a good idea. bullets are stupid loud.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:22 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
thats a good idea. bullets are stupid loud.
yes they are. i knew they'd be loud, but not THAT loud
Old 06-06-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jrp

throw some compression and a lumpy cam in the mix and them come back with that sentiment.
I feel like some kind of newb now or something. What do you mean by come back with that sentiment? Are you saying that running a cutout that close to the collector would cause problems with a big cam and higher compression? I mean wouldn't it just act as an extension off the header to move the exhaust far enough away from the o2? Don't take this in any way hostile, if I am confused about something please correct me.

I had a y-pipe with dual cutouts, and I opened them one time for about five minutes in the whole two-three months I had it. It is insanely loud, and you cannot hear anything. Inside and out. And I instantly knew that I would never drive out in public like that, because of how loud it was. Heck, I am worried about getting pulled over now. Bullets are loud. It is hard to talk on the phone in the car, and have conversations with people. It sucks, but until I drop the money on extending it out the back and getting some real mufflers (either edelbrock 304ss or magnaflow 4x9s) it will just be loud. It didn't use to bother me much but it has started to get old. At 6:45am I don't want to hear that.

But I was just answering his question, if that is what he wants, then he should get it. The way that I am considering it, would be after I extended it out the back, in which case I would put them after the x-pipe, but honestly, I don't think I would ever actually drop the money on getting them, it can be spent better other places.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:46 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01TAFlyer
I feel like some kind of newb now or something. What do you mean by come back with that sentiment? Are you saying that running a cutout that close to the collector would cause problems with a big cam and higher compression? I mean wouldn't it just act as an extension off the header to move the exhaust far enough away from the o2? Don't take this in any way hostile, if I am confused about something please correct me.

I had a y-pipe with dual cutouts, and I opened them one time for about five minutes in the whole two-three months I had it. It is insanely loud, and you cannot hear anything. Inside and out. And I instantly knew that I would never drive out in public like that, because of how loud it was. Heck, I am worried about getting pulled over now. Bullets are loud. It is hard to talk on the phone in the car, and have conversations with people. It sucks, but until I drop the money on extending it out the back and getting some real mufflers (either edelbrock 304ss or magnaflow 4x9s) it will just be loud. It didn't use to bother me much but it has started to get old. At 6:45am I don't want to hear that.

But I was just answering his question, if that is what he wants, then he should get it. The way that I am considering it, would be after I extended it out the back, in which case I would put them after the x-pipe, but honestly, I don't think I would ever actually drop the money on getting them, it can be spent better other places.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:23 AM
11 Second Club

Ground clearance will suck.

Depending on how you fabricate it, you might run into problems if you install subframe connectors. Mine wont clear connectors so they are coming off soon.

Im not sure what a pair mcchord cutouts cost. $200 for a pair? i dont know im just guessing. But for that much you could have subframe connectors, which is pretty much a must or atleast a smart mod to do. Or you could save the $200 and put it in the nitrous fund.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

my dual 3" qtp cutouts made 4 measly rwhp over my TSP duals under the axle out the back with my moroso spiral flow mufflers. the cutouts were not worth it IMO.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:18 AM
11 Second Club

Money really isn't an issue. I am deploying to Tallil, Iraq in September, so I'll have about 6K to spend on H/C and maybe a little nitrous or a 12 bolt . I know how loud the cutouts are because I had one on my old Iroc-Z. They are going to be for fun more than anything else.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been planning cutouts to open header on my duals. Maybe someday when I have money to spend on something that doesn't give any gain other than even crazier noise, I will do it. The duals really are quite loud as is (especially with the cam), but they still aren't open header.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:52 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Dual Qtec's aren't open header either, 'cause you still have a stretch of 3" or 2.5" exhaust pipe between your header collector and the Qtecs. That little run of pipe creates a strange echo which sounds more rounded out than the harsh clap of open header collectors.