Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gettin ram air

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default gettin ram air

as far as ram air chutes go, is one company pretty much like the other? Like, SLP, Whistler, Fast Toys Ram Air, cause the FTRA cost quite a bit more, im just wondering, because Im buying one today, please help, i want to make sure im not regretting what i buy. also, i already have the free ram air mod, where i cut out the bottom of the air box, am i really going to notice any difference whatsoever? Thanks.I think i am going to buy the Whistler brand it has the extra plate on the bottom whereas the SLP does not??
Old 06-09-2005, 11:28 AM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some people notice a difference, and some dont. From what I have read SLP's is different from the rest. The FTRA and SSRA and your best choices, so I would go with either of those two.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Tomorrow im ordering the BGRA kit for my Ram Air. Have heard nothing but good reviews from it. Thats what i would personally go with.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:21 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

yeah, also if you do have a ws6 go with the BGRA.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im runnin a 99' Trans Am WS6 & the BGRA system is the only way i would go, since the hoods on the WS6 have a more functional set of scoops than the camaro hoods. And our hoods r made to work this way from the factory, they just put plates in to reduce HP from the factory & block water from gettin in.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

FTRA and SSRA seem to show more gains at the track than any of the other ram air systems. The BGRA may be better than the stock setup, but I doubt it flows as well as the FTRA or SSRA.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

i still think the BGRA is one of the best, and is what im going with. have never heard a bad complaint about it, and the hp gains that the site claims are true. I think the 3 of them are the same, just depends on the one that YOU prefer.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FAST LS1
FTRA and SSRA seem to show more gains at the track than any of the other ram air systems. The BGRA may be better than the stock setup, but I doubt it flows as well as the FTRA or SSRA.
How would the bgra not work as weel as the others mentioned? Its design makes the air flow straight though. I would say they all work the same. Only the bgra is taking advantage of the hood and not scooping it up from under the car.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

QUOTE: How would the bgra not work as weel as the others mentioned? Its design makes the air flow straight though. I would say they all work the same. Only the bgra is taking advantage of the hood and not scooping it up from under the car.

I would have to say the advantage would go to the scoop pulling from below. When the air hits the front of your car, it flows up and over your hood. There is a boundry layer near the hood scoop. The air dam under your car however, slams the air up and into the ram air scoop.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

This argument could go on forever. Pretty much, BGRA fully utilizes the WS6 hood, making it so that air from under the car AND coming in through the scoops are being used. Sounds like a pretty good product to me.

I have no doubt that the SSRA and FTRA are just as good.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

From what I've seen the BGRA doesn't seal like the FTRA or the SSRA. It may "seal" to the air box, but the FTRA and SSRA can be made air tight even under pressure.
Also the BGRA still directs the air into the air gap under the intake lid, instead of forcing it directly into the air filter. That means the air has to come in the two hood scoops, come together, go under the little lip of the lid, turn 90 degrees into the filter, turn 90 degrees again and go towards the TB.
The path the air takes with the other ram air systems is just less convoluted.

Not saying the BGRA doesn't work, I just don't think it's as efficient or makes as much hp as the SSRA or FTRA. If it did more people would use it, and more track results would be posted about it. I'm sure it's a small difference, but I also wouldn't say the BGRA is equal to the SSRA or FTRA. Kind of like how no one really sings the praises of the ram air system the comes with suncoast creation hoods. They have a BGRA style system that has even larger hood scoops that direct the air right into a huge filter. People have actually shown a loss at the track compared to the SSRA or FTRA with that hood/intake setup.

Last edited by FAST LS1; 06-13-2005 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:38 AM
12 Second Club

WELL I GUESS THE UNDER THE CAR SCOOP IS OK FOR PEOPLE WHO NEVER DRIVE IN THE RAIN. I PERSONALLY WOULDNT WANT A AIR INTAKE THAT CLOSE TO THE GROUND UNLESS MY CAR WAS ONLY DRIVEN ON DRY DAYS. ITS LIKE THE IMPORT CAI SYSTEMS. THEY HANG LOW LIKE THAT & MANY PEOPLE HAVE TO GET AN ADDITIONAL FILTER OR BAFFLE IN LINE TO KEEP WATER FROM SUCKIN INTO THE MOTOR. I GUESS IT REALLY ALL FALLS INTO PERSONAL CHOICE & WHAT SYSTEM U FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
WELL I GUESS THE UNDER THE CAR SCOOP IS OK FOR PEOPLE WHO NEVER DRIVE IN THE RAIN. I PERSONALLY WOULDNT WANT A AIR INTAKE THAT CLOSE TO THE GROUND UNLESS MY CAR WAS ONLY DRIVEN ON DRY DAYS. ITS LIKE THE IMPORT CAI SYSTEMS. THEY HANG LOW LIKE THAT & MANY PEOPLE HAVE TO GET AN ADDITIONAL FILTER OR BAFFLE IN LINE TO KEEP WATER FROM SUCKIN INTO THE MOTOR. I GUESS IT REALLY ALL FALLS INTO PERSONAL CHOICE & WHAT SYSTEM U FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH.
Nice theory.. but has been proven wrong..
Driven my car for years in rain and snow without issue. Don't try to cross any lakes.. and you'll be alright.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

I'm not quite following you. The BGRA air goes straight into the airbox.....it only has to travel 8 inches or so to get there from the beginning of the nostril to the rubber seal.

Another type of RA that goes from the bottom will have to be redirected twice.

Honestly, either is fine, but if you have a WS6 then a BGRA is the preferred way to go because you already have the nostrils...you might as well use them.

Originally Posted by FAST LS1
From what I've seen the BGRA doesn't seal like the FTRA or the SSRA. It may "seal" to the air box, but the FTRA and SSRA can be made air tight even under pressure.
Also the BGRA still directs the air into the air gap under the intake lid, instead of forcing it directly into the air filter. That means the air has to come in the two hood scoops, come together, go under the little lip of the lid, turn 90 degrees into the filter, turn 90 degrees again and go towards the TB.
The path the air takes with the other ram air systems is just less convoluted.

Not saying the BGRA doesn't work, I just don't think it's as efficient or makes as much hp as the SSRA or FTRA. If it did more people would use it, and more track results would be posted about it. I'm sure it's a small difference, but I also wouldn't say the BGRA is equal to the SSRA or FTRA. Kind of like how no one really sings the praises of the ram air system the comes with suncoast creation hoods. They have a BGRA style system that has even larger hood scoops that direct the air right into a huge filter. People have actually shown a loss at the track compared to the SSRA or FTRA with that hood/intake setup.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000WS6Vert
Honestly, either is fine, but if you have a WS6 then a BGRA is the preferred way to go because you already have the nostrils...you might as well use them.
If you want the best ram air setup, from all the posts I've seen, the BGRA does not make as much power as the FTRA and SSRA. It's an improvement, but not the best setup.

Quote from a guy that's had both, and track tested them.

I have had both. The FTRA gave me consistent 1.5mph and 1.5tenth. I picked up about .7mph and .5 e.t from the bg ram air. I did the free ram air mod along with the Bg Ram air and those two combined I gained 1mph and 1 tenth. The Ftra is a proven winner in my book. The BG Ram air is a nice qaulity piece and works well to but I prefer the FTRA b/c of it's slightly better gains.
Second to last post

Last edited by FAST LS1; 06-14-2005 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:07 AM
TECH Resident

Well, if its proven by this guy, then I guess ill go with the FTRA. Hell, saves me about 100 bucks so now i can get a ported TB from Cammin BeaSSt

I just thought that making the Ram Air nostrils functional would prove to something.