Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC lines

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 09:09 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default AC lines

I had a the lower AC hose blow today. It made a big gash on the hose and now it needs to be replaced anyone ever have this happen to you?? I really dont know how it happen it just blew and fluid went shooting out from under the hood! Anyone ever had this happen? Im not sure how much oil to put back in the compressor since I really dont know how much came out. Any help greatly appreciated!
Old 06-11-2005, 09:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the same thing happen on my upper hose. However, you had yours open at the lowest point. You will probably need a good percentage of the oil replaced. I ordered my replacement from gmpartsdirect, and intalled myself. Not too difficult to install, just get it in the air if you can, and un-bolt the compressor from its mount. Kind of looks like band clamps holding it on.

The hose is an assembly. It includes the high and low side lines, both connected at the compressor. Trust me, hook up the lower line first, and bend it clear of balancer and swaybar. On the upper, just watch out for the waterpump drive.

At this point, if you have never charged a system, go ahead and take it to a shop. Have them pull a vacuum, and charge the system with 1.5 lbs of R-134a. The system may not come on, until you clear trouble codes from the computer. I just pulled the battery cable for 2-3 minutes.

Good Luck!
Old 06-11-2005, 04:19 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got it finished ordered the hose at a local dealership...88 bucks. Luckily I dont have the sway bar any more so that wasnt a problem just had a hard
time getting the lines out from behind the compressor, but I finally got them off and the new ones back on. I rented a vaccum pump and pumped it for about an hour. Also poured more oil back into the system. I took her for a drive and she got down to about 50 degrees not bad when initially the thermo said 120!