Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my exhaust system ruined?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is my exhaust system ruined?

I have FLPs headers/no cats/y-pipe/GMMG. In the offroad pipes, I had cutouts installed and then put on electric cut-outs. I got sick of all the leaks that the v-clamps cause and used RTV in them and then my O2 sensors went out but I think they might have already been givin me problems when I just had the electric cutouts. I removed all the silicone I could see and made my own gaskets with mr. gasket exhaust gasket material and then installed new O2 sensors. After 20 minutes of driving though, my SES light is back on saying Bank 1 Sensor 1 insufficient switching and the same thing for Bank2 Sensor 1. I thought I got all the silicone off so I can't figure out if my O2s are already dead for another reason or there's residue left over or it's the small amount of RTV that comes on the electric cutouts causing this. Damn this sucks
-Chris
Old 06-16-2005, 03:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably have damaged the new 02s. You can get them tested, but you are probably going to have to run it through a few heat cycles to season everything and then install new sensors. I recommend that for any exhaust work in the future, you run it with old/bad sensors first and then install the new ones.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

You could always get o2 simulators, cheeper than 2 new o2s
Old 06-16-2005, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

no, you cant get O2 sims for sensor 1, only sensor 2...
Old 06-16-2005, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaddySS
You probably have damaged the new 02s. You can get them tested, but you are probably going to have to run it through a few heat cycles to season everything and then install new sensors. I recommend that for any exhaust work in the future, you run it with old/bad sensors first and then install the new ones.
That's kinda why I was confused cuz I cleaned up the exhaust and put it back together with the old O2s and went out and drove around for awhile, then came back and put in the new ones.