Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust laws

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust laws

How many of you guys and gals have taken time to actually research the vehicle exhaust laws in your area? I get tired of hearing all this he said she said bull so I did a little digging around for my state of Maryland. It's kind of amazing to look at the laws as they are written and campare what we have done to our cars to see if we are in compliance. I'm not even sure how they would enforce half these things but here you go. Here is what the "Title 22. Vehicle Laws - Equipment of Vehicles" says about mufflers:
§ 22-609. Modification of exhaust system.

(a) Modification that increases sound prohibited.- A person may not modify the exhaust system or any other noise abatement device of a motor vehicle driven or to be driven on any highway in this State in such a way that the noise emitted by the vehicle exceeds that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.

(b) Operation of improperly modified vehicle prohibited.- A person may not drive on any highway in this State a motor vehicle with an exhaust system or noise abatement device modified in a way prohibited by subsection (a) of this section.

and

§ 22-402. Mufflers; prevention of noise; discharge of smoke; maximum period of idling.

(a) Mufflers.- Every motor vehicle with an internal combustion engine shall be equipped with an exhaust muffler system in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person may use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device on a motor vehicle on a highway. Noise levels in excess of those adopted by the Administrator under § 22-601 of this title are excessive.

(b) Prevention of noise.- A person may not use on the exhaust or "tail pipe" of a motor vehicle any extension or other device to cause excessive or unusual noise.

The infromation was found here.

http://198.187.128.12/maryland/lpext...s-main.htm&2.0
Old 06-17-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

well...the problem..if you want to risk it is...when you get pulled over..how does the officer know what you have isn't stock? he'd have to have the stock decible reading of the vehicle..and then have a meter there to test your car. unless it says somewhere that it is up to the officers judgement wether or not its too loud. so basically...if you put an exhaust on it...and get a ticket..and loose....don't bitch
Old 06-17-2005, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

QUOTE: When you get pulled over, how does the officer know it's not stock.

I think there are some police officers that could tell if your exhaust is not stock. I bet if I looked under just about any car, I could tell if it was stock or not.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
QUOTE: when you get pulled over..how does the officer know what you have isn't stock?

Because it says Magnaflow......
mine says slp...but its stock. when did car manufactures start stamping chevy and ford on their mufflers?
Old 06-18-2005, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A cop can give you a ticket for just about anything, i would not argue anything. Most cops will ask what you have and shoot the **** with you. But for the most part, if you have cats and a muffler, your good to go.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:36 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-286speed
A cop can give you a ticket for just about anything, i would not argue anything. Most cops will ask what you have and shoot the **** with you. But for the most part, if you have cats and a muffler, your good to go.
This is basically exactly how it goes almost all the time.....unless the officer has some reason to hunt for issues with your car. That's why you want to be nice when they pull you over. Almost every car on the road has some sort of violation on it that could get you a ticket if they really wanted to be picky. Forget exhaust, it's shocking how many vehicle equpitment laws there are for all areas of a car.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:57 AM
Staging Lane

The enforcement official would have to prove it. That entails obtaining the decibel level of the car as originally manufactured and comparing it to a decibel meter reading taken at the time of the incident. He also has to identify the equipment as not being original equipment. Maybe a tool like this, http://www.decibel-meter.com/, which has been tested and certified by an expert, for accuracy and consistency, could be used to obtain evidence.

The official would have to be trained in the operation of the device. If he comes into the court with just his word versus your word then he would probably lose.

Needless to say, I think we can all expect these laws to progress and become even more intrusive. I can see some ******* in the near future sticking an emissions sensor up to your exhaust outlet every time you get pulled over.

The shitty thing is that these conservative laws tend to get more and more restrictive. Some say Democracies are doomed to failure because individuals will ultimately legislate their rights away. Only time will tell. Bastards!

Anyway, back to my .
Old 06-18-2005, 02:13 AM
TECH Addict

QUOTE: I can see some ******* in the near future sticking an emissions sensor up to your exhaust outlet every time you get pulled over.

Isn't that the truth. I can just see that happening....and it will start right here in california.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Im in texas and when the troopers pull you over they look under your car for cats, then pop the hood and look at the sticker on the drivers inner fender under the hood to see what emission equitment you have and if youve removed it.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:56 AM
12 Second Club

THe cops can give you a repair order (aka "fix-it ticket") right? If they suspect it isnt stock they give a repair order which requires you to get your car inspected and pass within a certain amount of days.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ28DRIVER1
How many of you guys and gals have taken time to actually research the vehicle exhaust laws in your area? I get tired of hearing all this he said she said bull so I did a little digging around for my state of Maryland. It's kind of amazing to look at the laws as they are written and campare what we have done to our cars to see if we are in compliance. I'm not even sure how they would enforce half these things but here you go. Here is what the "Title 22. Vehicle Laws - Equipment of Vehicles" says about mufflers:
§ 22-609. Modification of exhaust system.

(a) Modification that increases sound prohibited.- A person may not modify the exhaust system or any other noise abatement device of a motor vehicle driven or to be driven on any highway in this State in such a way that the noise emitted by the vehicle exceeds that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.

(b) Operation of improperly modified vehicle prohibited.- A person may not drive on any highway in this State a motor vehicle with an exhaust system or noise abatement device modified in a way prohibited by subsection (a) of this section.

and

§ 22-402. Mufflers; prevention of noise; discharge of smoke; maximum period of idling.

(a) Mufflers.- Every motor vehicle with an internal combustion engine shall be equipped with an exhaust muffler system in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person may use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device on a motor vehicle on a highway. Noise levels in excess of those adopted by the Administrator under § 22-601 of this title are excessive.

(b) Prevention of noise.- A person may not use on the exhaust or "tail pipe" of a motor vehicle any extension or other device to cause excessive or unusual noise.

The infromation was found here.

http://198.187.128.12/maryland/lpext...s-main.htm&2.0
I think a more appropriate question would be " how many people actually care a rats *** what the law is "!
Old 06-18-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by spy2520
THe cops can give you a repair order (aka "fix-it ticket") right? If they suspect it isnt stock they give a repair order which requires you to get your car inspected and pass within a certain amount of days.
they can;t jsut give you a repair ticket...unless they know something isn't working properly..unless the laws in md are very different.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

up here, same thing, except you can drive with broken tailights cracked windshields, etc and its ok...talk about stupid, but then again look where i live!. Up here, they inspect your car one time, and after that, no more, no emissions either, but you pay up the ying yang for registration if you own a bigger litre motor! i pay 405 a year to register the car
Old 06-18-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Regular

If you think about it, with all the GPS factory equipped cars and On-Star crap they(BIG BROTHER) could probably write you a speeding ticket without out ever seeing you! Eventually we will not be able to mod our cars at all.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by S1LV3R
If you think about it, with all the GPS factory equipped cars and On-Star crap they(BIG BROTHER) could probably write you a speeding ticket without out ever seeing you! Eventually we will not be able to mod our cars at all.
did 170 in my car before, thats one ticket that would suck.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

Spent a night in jail for 150.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:10 PM
Launching!

I Don't know where all of you guys live but here in NJ they have been doing spot roadside inspections. They are setup like DWI checkpoints and every 10th car or so the county or state cop will ask you to pull in the parking lot by the side of the road. In the lot they have a portable emissions testing machine in a van with an inspector from the state. If they find any violations they give you a ticket and give you a failure sticker. You then have 14 or thirty days to get it fixed and reinspected. After that they can revoke your registration. They started doing this after we went to 2 year inspection from 1 year inspection. Every morning during the week they are setup on the ramp going on to RT 17. You maybe able to tune your car for inspection and take off your exhaust and put it back on after you pass, but if you get pulled over at a spot check they will still write you up. Other staes are going to due this I heard because the EPA is cracking down just to let you know.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:59 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

FWIW... as long as you don't have something like Onstar to transmit the signal's results outside your car, GPS should be safe, it only receives data and can't transmit to anyone by itself

A person may not use on the exhaust or "tail pipe" of a motor vehicle any extension or other device to cause excessive or unusual noise.
I guess that means 'whistle tips' would be illegal there
Old 06-19-2005, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StickSS
I Don't know where all of you guys live but here in NJ they have been doing spot roadside inspections. They are setup like DWI checkpoints and every 10th car or so the county or state cop will ask you to pull in the parking lot by the side of the road. In the lot they have a portable emissions testing machine in a van with an inspector from the state. If they find any violations they give you a ticket and give you a failure sticker. You then have 14 or thirty days to get it fixed and reinspected. After that they can revoke your registration. They started doing this after we went to 2 year inspection from 1 year inspection. Every morning during the week they are setup on the ramp going on to RT 17. You maybe able to tune your car for inspection and take off your exhaust and put it back on after you pass, but if you get pulled over at a spot check they will still write you up. Other staes are going to due this I heard because the EPA is cracking down just to let you know.
nj has been doing spot checks a lot longer than that.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
they can;t jsut give you a repair ticket...unless they know something isn't working properly..unless the laws in md are very different.
Oh, i thought if they suspected something wouldn't pass they would just do that. The inspection guy told me i might get a couple because of my hood, which is barely legal. He said times people would come in with repair orders but they dont fail inspection because everythin was still within the law.