Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air box lids

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air box lids

I've seen the SLP (and others) air box lid replacement. Wouldn't ten minutes and a dremel get the same thing on a stock air box lid?
Old 06-17-2005, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

probably not... the neck on the stock air lid seems to be smaller do to its oval shape and air still has to go thru the silencers and not straight thru like on an aftermarket lid
Old 06-17-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe part of the biggest gain like mykee said was the improved neck. Also if I am not mistaken (I read it in one a thread) is that when you remove the air silencer it will help the flow of air. The air will slow down the farther it has to travel. By keeping a similar sized neck to the intake it should speed up the airflow. The silencer expands the area in which the air has to travel slowing the air down and quiteing it down. So I would say no, you wont get the same results.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

That's a decent question. Prior to me getting a new lid I fooled around a little with it. I would say overall you couldn't get it to perform as well as a new lid but you could definitely help yourself out until you're able to get a new lid. My reasons for saying this are because as they said the neck which is more restrictive in shape and size + the silencers(dumb). Then you have the grooves that are on the top of the stock lid. Also, the stock lid measurements aren't quite as good as the aftermarket pieces.

You can definitely help yourself out by removing those grooves. You don't need a dremel to do it just grab some pliers and start with one piece...grab it by the base and rock it gently back and forth until it breaks out. After you've done all that You can smooth it out with a dremel if you want just be sure you've got it nice and cleaned up before you use it again. A guy around here also cut the silencers off and I believe used some sort of bondo type **** or fiberglass to cover up the holes left by that. So in short yes you can make the stock one perform better but I don't believe you'll get it as good as what an aftermarket one will do.

I'm thinking about taking some pictures of my stock air lid as opposed to my SLP for ya to give you an idea. If i get around to it I'll post 'em up.

Justin
Old 06-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Unforgiven1
That's a decent question. Prior to me getting a new lid I fooled around a little with it. I would say overall you couldn't get it to perform as well as a new lid but you could definitely help yourself out until you're able to get a new lid. My reasons for saying this are because as they said the neck which is more restrictive in shape and size + the silencers(dumb). Then you have the grooves that are on the top of the stock lid. Also, the stock lid measurements aren't quite as good as the aftermarket pieces.

You can definitely help yourself out by removing those grooves. You don't need a dremel to do it just grab some pliers and start with one piece...grab it by the base and rock it gently back and forth until it breaks out. After you've done all that You can smooth it out with a dremel if you want just be sure you've got it nice and cleaned up before you use it again. A guy around here also cut the silencers off and I believe used some sort of bondo type **** or fiberglass to cover up the holes left by that. So in short yes you can make the stock one perform better but I don't believe you'll get it as good as what an aftermarket one will do.

I'm thinking about taking some pictures of my stock air lid as opposed to my SLP for ya to give you an idea. If i get around to it I'll post 'em up.

Justin
Thanks for the offer Justin (pics) but that won' be necessary. I completely forgot about the silencers. I figured either the dremel or, like you said, a pair of pliers and I was good to go. 90 bucks is a cheap date for 10hp. I'll just keep my eyes open for one and fix it right.

Thanks to all.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Can always find nice lids on E-Bay for well under $90....
Old 06-27-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Silencer's

Guess I'm not familiar with the silencers, are they part of the lid?
Old 06-27-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

Check the classifieds for a lid, I got my SLP one for $50
Old 06-27-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i did that! I smoothed the hole inside of the stock airbox and did the FRA, to be honest whenever i put my whisper lid on i really didnt notice any difference, other than looks, the stock airbox looks like clutter.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Orange Terror
Guess I'm not familiar with the silencers, are they part of the lid?
Yeah...they are the square, boxey-looking things on either side of the intake tract, between the MAF and lid...
Old 06-28-2005, 08:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
Yeah...they are the square, boxey-looking things on either side of the intake tract, between the MAF and lid...
Ahhh, I'll be checking that out, actually, I think my next purchase will be a new lid. Any votes or recommendations on who has the best one anybody?
Old 06-28-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orange Terror
Ahhh, I'll be checking that out, actually, I think my next purchase will be a new lid. Any votes or recommendations on who has the best one anybody?
GM High Tech Performance did a comparrison of 5 different lids. They found that they all provided roughly the same HP gains (within 1-2hp). The only real differences were fitment. As I remember, the SLP lid was one of the better fitting ones. Word of advice, I've got a Whisper carbon fiber lid, and it doesn't fit all that well - especially the 4 tabs on the back.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
GM High Tech Performance did a comparrison of 5 different lids. They found that they all provided roughly the same HP gains (within 1-2hp). The only real differences were fitment. As I remember, the SLP lid was one of the better fitting ones. Word of advice, I've got a Whisper carbon fiber lid, and it doesn't fit all that well - especially the 4 tabs on the back.
I vaguely remember that I think now that you mention it. Thanks for the advice and info, I'm probably going SLP or Granatelli.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

side note, the SLP might rub your stock hood.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Junkie

The SLP is the sturdiest lid I've seen as far as construction...I, too, have heard of folks having rubbing issues...I had no problems when I had the SLP lid...I only switched to the TSP smoked-clear lid for cosmetic reasons...
Old 06-28-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My Whisper rubs the hood. If I showed my car, I'd be pissed. But, being it's just for racing, as long as I don't get a hole rubbed in it I'm happy.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I took out the silencing ribs from my stock lid. I have no idea whether it helped but I can't see how it could hurt. I haven't had it on a dyno yet.

I took a pair of lineman's pliers and twisted, rather than rocking them back and forth. They snapped right off. Then I cleaned it up using an air grinder with a rounded wood cutting tip on it. It was the one with little slicers instead of little bumps. It was tedious but I guess it really didn't take all that long. Made a mess, though.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

i got a tsp lid that i thought everybody said fit good. mine doesn't tho, i can feel air comin in on the sides and the 4 tabs SUCK!! the 2 on driver side come out every once in a while. its so bad i'm thinkin of crappin my money away on a new lid. oh yeah, my tsp lid took a MONTH to get to me...