Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Duals & Daily Driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Duals & Daily Driving

My car is my dd and i would like to know if there are any of you out there that run True Duals on a daily basis. I would like a set up that is some what quite at idle with a great tone. Any sugestions? Thanks
Old 06-20-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

if you want a quiet idle, i dont recommend duals. i have them, and this is my DD, but its anything but quiet. there is no regular cat back that can compare though, one of a kind, pure muscle, and i will recommend them if quiet isnt a concern
Old 06-20-2005, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

Do you ever run into problems as far as the noise goes. How is it going down the highway?
Old 06-20-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Junkie

no, i love the noise. lol. setting off car alarms and turning heads is what i live for. lol. highway is fine, im not partial to the tone in 6th under 1500 rpm though...slight drone, but you get used to it. WOT is uncomparable. goto ls1sounds.com and check out some sound clips.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daily driver 24/7/365 with 4000 stall converter, TSP MS3 (237/242 on a 113) and LS1 speed duals dumped at the axle with dynomax bullets.

They won't be quiet at idle, exactly, but shouldn't be too bad with stock or small cam.

You can put a fairly quiet muffler on there if you want. Borla XR1's or the larger magnaflows come to mind.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:18 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed Pacesetter LTs and TSP TDs on my car Thursday and it is a DD also. I agree with 99FormulaM6, but my car is an A4. When I drive around town I leave it in Drive, but on the highway in overdrive it doesn't sound to bad. You'll have to be extra careful with bumps and things due to low ground clearance (I have about 6 in. and it is not lowered). Just my .02
Old 06-21-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

As 99FormulaM6 stated above, true duals are not quiet. The drone in 6th gear at low rpm's will crush your last nerve. Cops will hear you before they see you. Your neighbors will no longer like you or talk to you. Your G/F may or may not ever ride in the car again. ( this could be a pro not a con) If you get dumps, you will no longer be able to listen to the radio or talk on the cell phone. If you want a quiet idle, stick with a good cat back, like the GMMG. It sounds good on the highway and great at WOT.

The pro's-
I LOVE my true duals on my DD!! I had them custom made to run over the passenger side axle with an x-pipe and sweet thunder mufflers all the way out the back. At idle, the sound of my cam is SO clean and clear, you could swear you could hear the cylinders counting off. NO ONE tailgates me. At traffic lights, i can hear my car over semi's and dump trucks. Fart cans are only heard when the car is turned off. At WOT, this 346 sings a tune that is undeniable a muscle car. I get compliments everywhere i go, and have had people follow me to park next to me and ask questions about the car. True duals is like wearing a yellow suit. It's loud, and you will be noticed.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:55 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have dumps on mine and I can still carry a conversation, talk on the phone and listen to the radio with no problems. Even with the tops out and the windows down. Guess it just depends on the car.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:05 AM
11 Second Club

Z28, If you look at the sig's the guys talking about how loud the duals are have a cam....when I put my cam in, it changed how the car sounded completely....not so much the way it sounds as much as the volume change....I don't even bother listening to the radio anymore as it has to be cranked to hear it over the engine....and I don't even have duals....I have a slowmaster muffler with a cut-out....with the cut-out open it sounds straight evil......
Old 06-21-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Junkie

the drone is bearable for me, i dont notice it anymore. and i can listen to the radio and talk on the phone and hold convos with my passengers too. but i only listen to the radio when im cruising, and when i wanna go fast i turn it off. and i dont talk on the phone much when i drive either. and i love my duals too
Old 06-21-2005, 07:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man.......
i see a few hardcore drivers here, like me drive around with TD dumped with a high stall....

but what i dont see is the correct answer....

White_TA_27 ,
to answer your question,
yes you can have a truedual exhaust that is both quiet at idle and deep at wot....

the design of your exhaust system has much to do exhaust note(or tone) but little to do actual VOLUME....
volume is controled by the mufflers...
most everyone that posted a reply has TD with bullet mufflers... and they dont muffle much of anything at idle, and even less at wot... however there are a few muffler choices that are significantly quieter then bullets, yet retain most of the benfits of TD's...

when shopping for TD's you need to ask a few questions...

1.h pipe or x pipe(h gives you more tq under the curve, x gives you more hp up top)

2.tire size you plan on running all the time. (i run on 28" tires, it makes a huge differance in ground clearance)

3.what type of muffler do i want, how much noise will you tolerate in the name of power.

4 are you going to dump at the axle, or pay the extra coin to run it all the way out?
Old 06-21-2005, 07:34 PM
Launching!

I have true duals over the axle with an xpipe and 4" round body magnaflows. Idle is tame but has a nice rumble. A cam may make the idle louder. I will know real soon. I can cruise at any rpm below 3000 w/ windows down and still hear the radio and talk to passenger. Some slight drone in 6th below 1500 rpms. Exhaust note starts to come on at 2000, by 3000 it sounds great and by 4000 you can not hear anything but the exhaust. I drive 25 miles one way to work. This is a combination of interstate and in town running. I would recommend true duals to anybody interested but the key points are over the axle and muffler choice.

Quick Reply: True Duals & Daily Driving