Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Cats

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 05:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Cats

OK I'm sure this has been asked before but I could never find a definite answer using the search feature . If I remove my cats will there be any ill effects other than an SES light? Also on a car with a cutout what kind of gains can I expect? Thanks and I'm sorry for bringing up a topic thats been discussed 500000 times.
Cameron
Old 06-21-2005, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you plan on doing LT'S it the future? I would say leave the cats get a cut out or a high flowing cat back. You will see no gains just removing the cats, the exhaust restriction is your manifolds. just my .02

Last edited by conan; 06-21-2005 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing other than SES light, which can be turned off with tuning, hand held programmer or O2 sims. It won't sound very good with a cutout though, IMO. Minimal gains, maybe 5 rwhp MAX.

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 06-21-2005 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

Loss of low end torque, bottom of first gear wont want to get out of the hole. This is my expierience with stock manifolds ory pipe and magnaflow. Sounds killer though. You can make the torque back up in other areas I'm sure. Even with the loss of a little torque I'll never put them back on.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Oh, I see your in Wilkesboro, cool.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tranzaman00
Oh, I see your in Wilkesboro, cool.
Yea man, where is Oak Island at? Outer banks i would assume. Well the main reason I would be removing my cats is because I'm pretty sure there clogged up. My car has 90,000 miles on it and sometimes while going down the road a horrible smell will get in my car, like rotten eggs and I've heard this is a sign of clogged cats. I do plan on getting long tubes but it will be atleast several months before i do that.

Edit: Tranzaman, do you just have the magnaflow muffler or the whole cat back? I see in your profile it says custom can you explain?
Old 06-22-2005, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Taking off my cats brought up some engine codes and the check engine light. I need to get some O2 sims.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

you are in NC? drive down here if u take the cats off and have 99 or 2000 and i can turn the codes off for you, sims are a waste when you can have someone turn them off
Old 06-22-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by the convert
Yea man, where is Oak Island at? Outer banks i would assume. Well the main reason I would be removing my cats is because I'm pretty sure there clogged up. My car has 90,000 miles on it and sometimes while going down the road a horrible smell will get in my car, like rotten eggs and I've heard this is a sign of clogged cats. I do plan on getting long tubes but it will be atleast several months before i do that.

Edit: Tranzaman, do you just have the magnaflow muffler or the whole cat back? I see in your profile it says custom can you explain?

no,further south real close to wilmington, nc. 45 mins. from myrtle.
The reason it is custom is because I bought the 5x8x14 stainless muffler which is 4'' smaller than the one that comes with the catback. Smaller is louder. This is the same muffler they use for the v6 f-body catback. I talked to the guys at magnaflow and the reason they use the smaller on on the v6 is to make it a little louder. I mean lets be honest anytime someone puts a aftermarket muffler on a v6 is cause they are looking for that v8 sound. It sounds mean as hell. One of the loudest non-true dual systems I've heard.
The y-pipe is custom made as well using a magnaflow tru y-merger. Some people have cut the y's out of there pipes and replaced with the flowmaster y, I decided to keep it all magnaflow. It sayas 5x8x18 but thats wrong and it is not a mufflex ory it is mufflex off-road pipes to a custom wye pipe .you can hear it here.http://www.ls1sounds.com/magnaflow/m...Y_flamesTA.MOV

Last edited by Tranzaman00; 06-22-2005 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

I will be selling this soon as well to go TD's.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:10 PM
Teching In

My car is a 98 so I guess you couldn't turn the codes off could you? I've already got one from my AIR system being removed by the previous owner so I'm going to have to get it done in the next year or so before they start doing emissions up here. Is Oak Island near Whiteville? One of my friends dad lives there so we went through there on the way to Myrtle Beach about a week ago.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by the convert
My car is a 98 so I guess you couldn't turn the codes off could you? I've already got one from my AIR system being removed by the previous owner so I'm going to have to get it done in the next year or so before they start doing emissions up here. Is Oak Island near Whiteville? One of my friends dad lives there so we went through there on the way to Myrtle Beach about a week ago.
Yeah it's about 25 mins. away. However it is the other guy that can do the tuning. look up a couple posts. I am pretty sure that he can't do yours.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

im from the charlotte area, i dont have the software for 98 but if i could find someone else to go in on it with you i will if you would want to, its 199 bucks, but of course the only charge would be for the software, not for me tuning it, i only know 2 guys with 98's though one is now in jersey and the other is in japan for a while, lol
Old 06-22-2005, 11:01 PM
Teching In

So HPtuners or whatever is only $200 for my car? I may consider buying that in the near future and getting you to help me out with it. By the way are you going to the F-body thing there having at Mooresville this weekend?

edit: Tranzaman your car sounds badass

Last edited by the convert; 06-22-2005 at 11:21 PM.