Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

realistic gains from Flowmaster catback to TSP rumbler..

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default realistic gains from Flowmaster catback to TSP rumbler..

alright.. well I was running an Open Y pipe and the car felt LOADS faster then with the stock catback..

well I went on vacation and I got surprised with a flowmaster catback... needless to say I was

I HATE FLOWMASTER it sounds okay at idle but at WOT it sounds like a stock muffler... not to mention the car feels LOADS slower .. like its almost hurting it revving to 6k.. I can actually sit and wait between shifts and look at the tach.. its painful..

then I came across this wonderful catback called TSP Rumbler.. its purchased..

should it feel like my car did with the Open Y? about the same loudwise and power wise? BTW I have cats but not for long

I was thinking a solid 10rwhp.. and a beautiful sound..

btw mods are as follows..

FRA
whisper lid
TB bypass
tsp rumbler.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its plausible
Old 06-24-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, you'll notice a difference. I bought my car used, and it had a Slowmaster on it. I dynoed it and it put out 302rwhp (Mustang dyno). Then, I cut off the whole exhaust rearward of the y-pipe and redid the dyno. I got 322!

Now, I've heard that the average gain from getting rid of the stocker is 10hp. So, that means that the Slowmaster lost me the other 10.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:50 PM
12 Second Club

When i was running my car on stock exhaust.. it felt like ****.. but then i got my TSP Rumbler and it felt wayy better!
Old 06-24-2005, 06:53 PM
TECH Regular

i got rumbler and it made a hell of a difference. im soon to order LT's and catted Y, i hope i can tell a difference their. btw, the rumbler doesnt sound all that good at idel (loud) but it sounds great at lower rpm's and at WOT it sounds badass. u wont be dissapointed!
Old 06-24-2005, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

yea I think you will DEFINITELY feel a difference with the TSP rumbler opposed to the blowmaster. I mean the rumbler has a bullet as a muffler, THATS IT! The flowmaster has all those delta baffle bull **** and that is choking your car, drop the flowmaster and get the rumbler!!
Old 06-24-2005, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SOM98TA
alright.. well I was running an Open Y pipe and the car felt LOADS faster then with the stock catback..

well I went on vacation and I got surprised with a flowmaster catback... needless to say I was

I HATE FLOWMASTER it sounds okay at idle but at WOT it sounds like a stock muffler... not to mention the car feels LOADS slower .. like its almost hurting it revving to 6k.. I can actually sit and wait between shifts and look at the tach.. its painful..

then I came across this wonderful catback called TSP Rumbler.. its purchased..

should it feel like my car did with the Open Y? about the same loudwise and power wise? BTW I have cats but not for long

I was thinking a solid 10rwhp.. and a beautiful sound..

btw mods are as follows..

FRA
whisper lid
TB bypass
tsp rumbler.
i felt a pretty good difference with mine. it wont quite be like running open exhaust, but it is just a straight through flow with the bullet muffler, plus the catback was made so the muffler runs parallel with the car, not sideways like most others. that straight through flow has to help performance.

oh, and its very loud with headers.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:13 AM
Launching!

BTW getting a custom Y pipe set up.. catless..

hoping for a solid 20rwhp now
Old 06-25-2005, 05:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

just do the true dual, with 02 sims you won't be dissappointed. If hp is what you are looking for.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

When i bought my ss, it had a master cat back on it . To me it sounds pretty good, but i think it definatly looses some power, from driving other cars with exhaust. Im fixin to trash that thing, and go with a true dual system.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
Now, I've heard that the average gain from getting rid of the stocker is 10hp. So, that means that the Slowmaster lost me the other 10.
Claiming the Flowmaster crossflow might not flow as well as a Borla, GMMG, etc is true and believable. Saying it kills 10HP over stock is pure

I'd like to know how many people on the Flowmaster bashing bandwagon have ever had one (or heard one) as well as the Magnaflow or Borla. Benchracing on the internet is not a source of claiming to be an expert.

A friend of mine has a Magnaflow with the same LTs and other bolt-ons I have, save he also has a FAST intake and 90mm throttle body to my stock LS6 intake. He's also using stock rims where I'm running heavy 18x9.5" Long story short, our cars perform perform about the same at the track (within a.1-.2 seconds in the 1/4 mile), despite his Magnaflow vs my "Blowmaster". Both our cars are 02 model 6 speeds.

The Flowmaster might give a couple HP less then some other cat-backs, but it certainly isn't worse than stock. I picked up .2sec in the 1/4 going from stock to the 3" American Thunder catback. At least put out truthful info when bashing something

Schantin
2002 Camaro Z28 M6
Old 03-23-2008, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

I gained 12 hp from flowmaster to magnaflow, nuff said.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

TSP all the way man!! Love mine
Old 03-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Launching!

I just had my car dynoed (I'll post the sheet soon) and the Flowmaster CB I have wasnt costing me but 8 rwhp vs. my open cutout. That's not bad. Most people w/ a Magnaflow or Hooker still gain a few W/ an open cutout, so I guess the ol' Flow wasnt holding that much back at all compared to other exhaust setups...
Old 03-26-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScrapinBye
I just had my car dynoed (I'll post the sheet soon) and the Flowmaster CB I have wasnt costing me but 8 rwhp vs. my open cutout. That's not bad. Most people w/ a Magnaflow or Hooker still gain a few W/ an open cutout, so I guess the ol' Flow wasnt holding that much back at all compared to other exhaust setups...
How much HP/TQ are u making through the catback/cutout. 8rwhp at the bolt on level is not a good flowing exhaust. FWIW I have seen similar results through the stock catback vs. cutout on bolt on cars. At the bolt on level, my cutout open yielded virtually the same numbers as through the Hooker catback.

To the OP, the post I quoted should give u the answer your looking for. He lost 8rwhp through the flowmaster, the TSP rumbler should be almost as effective as an open cutout.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BigKap94z
How much HP/TQ are u making through the catback/cutout. 8rwhp at the bolt on level is not a good flowing exhaust. FWIW I have seen similar results through the stock catback vs. cutout on bolt on cars. At the bolt on level, my cutout open yielded virtually the same numbers as through the Hooker catback.

To the OP, the post I quoted should give u the answer your looking for. He lost 8rwhp through the flowmaster, the TSP rumbler should be almost as effective as an open cutout.
Here's my sheet. The blue is with the cutout open, the red is through the Flowmaster CB, and the green is a baseline pull before the dyno tuning with the cutout closed.
Attached Thumbnails realistic gains from Flowmaster catback to TSP rumbler..-dyno.jpg  

Last edited by ScrapinBye; 03-26-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's my sheet. The blue is with the cutout open, the red is through the Flowmaster CB, and the green is a baseline pull before the dyno tuning with the cutout closed.
If U don't mind me asking what is your setup? 8rwhp loss at/around 400rwhp level isn't horrible. FWIW I have seen LT1 setups lose 8-10 around the 300rwhp mark with the 80 series mufflers.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Launching!

I have Pacesetter LTs, ORY, Flowmaster CB, Raceready E-cutout, MS3 cam, PRC valvesprings, chromoly pushrods, and a good tune. Your making all that power with stock heads?
Old 03-26-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have Pacesetter LTs, ORY, Flowmaster CB, Raceready E-cutout, MS3 cam, PRC valvesprings, chromoly pushrods, and a good tune. Your making all that power with stock heads?
Yes sir!
Old 03-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Launching!

What are the specs of that BRE cam ur running? Those numbers are unbelievable if there were on a dynojet. --Justin

Quick Reply: realistic gains from Flowmaster catback to TSP rumbler..