Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jet Hot header leak.....???

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 02:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Jet Hot header leak.....???

Over the winter I swapped back to my stock cam and found one broken rocker arm (no bearings missing, just one side cover was cracked). When I started the car up this spring, I had a small ticking noise from the driver's side. I cannot hear the noise from under the hood, only when I listen under the drivers side of the car.

I tried re tightening all the band clamps (Jet hot LTs with Hooker ORY) and they we all still tight. They did not leak at all last year. I reused my exhaust manifold gaskets when I put the headers in....

What's your guess? I have never heard of anyone having a problem with any welds leaking on the Jet Hots. There is no soot coming out of any of the band clamps under the car. I even pulled the valve cover and looked at the rockers and they were all fine...

????
Old 06-28-2005, 08:49 AM
12 Second Club

anyone....
Old 07-01-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure they are leaking?

The thinner tubes on headers make a bit more noise than the stock setup.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put the car on a lift and start it up. Listen and feel for leaks under neath. Are you sure the header bolts aren't loose. Look for black spots around where the headers bolt on. If there is some then thats your leak.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:23 PM
Launching!

You might also check to make sure the plugs are tight and the wires are fully snapped on the spark plugs. I did headers about 4 mos ago and about a month ago I developed a tick. I thought it was valvetrain related. Well I took the valve covers off and everything checked out but in the process found that a plug on the passenger side had came loose. Also, some of the MSD wires had worked there way off some of the plugs enough to cause a noise at idle. I tightened the spark plug and reinstalled all the plug wires and all is well now for about 1000 miles.
I would get the car on a lift and check it over for any leaks and carbon buildup also. Does the noise go away after the engine warms up?
Old 07-03-2005, 05:37 PM
12 Second Club

I have the same noise, I switched from C clamps to band clamps and it helped quite a bit, but there is still a slight tick, I think its still leaking at the collector.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:06 PM
12 Second Club

I found mine is leaking at the flange between the head. It's sooty around it...guess i'll have to pick up some new gm gaskets and swap them in next week.

It drives me crazy!!