Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP difference: cats vs no cats

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HP difference: cats vs no cats

(this question has probably been asked before, but i did a search and couldn't find it)

this summer i'm going to be getting some kooks LT's. the rest of my exhaust is the stock Firehawk SLP Catback (3" intermediate, power flo muffler). my major debate is cats/!cats.

does anyone have any hard statistics of the power difference between cats/!cats? if its a big difference, i'll go with an ORY and put some fake cats on it to pass the visual test, and if the difference is negligible, i'd get the catted Y and save myself the headaches of fabricating something that looks authentic.

i'm not overly concerned about sound level, since i'd think that the stock SLP muffler would keep the noise within the levels of reason.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:27 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With an ORY your going to smell fumes a lot, I happen to like it but some people cant stand it. The power difference is around 5 to 7 hp between and ORY and a Catted Y.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't smell fumes at all with my ORY.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your planning on getting a cam later on, it will make a bigger difference.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people with stock cams and exhaust that exits out the back rarely smell fumes. I don't get them very often with a large cam and dumped duals.

It's pretty well agreed upon that you only lose a few horsepower to properly sized 'high flow' cats. Personally I would/do run an exhaust system or cat-back/muffler that sounds good without cats. That way it's not even a consideration.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

From the start you'll only be losing about 5 hp, 6 months down the road that may change to 8 to 10, a year who knows. The issue with cats is that they get clogged and like a slipping clutch may not get noticed due to the gradual change until you're missing 20 or more horsepower.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lithium
With an ORY your going to smell fumes a lot, I happen to like it but some people cant stand it. The power difference is around 5 to 7 hp between and ORY and a Catted Y.
Great smell the way a muscle car should smell!!!
Old 06-30-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

I made 439rwhp thru long tube headers and 3" cats with a true dual 3" all the way back running Magnaflow parts. On the sniffer my car at idle had high HC's because of the 233/239 cam... but at 2500rpm it was super clean.

Aside from cost there isn't much tradeoff IMO.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:53 PM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

My current setup from FM does not have cats and it is stinky and loud. I'm going to cut-in a set of high flow cats soon.
Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
(this question has probably been asked before, but i did a search and couldn't find it)

this summer i'm going to be getting some kooks LT's. the rest of my exhaust is the stock Firehawk SLP Catback (3" intermediate, power flo muffler). my major debate is cats/!cats.

does anyone have any hard statistics of the power difference between cats/!cats? if its a big difference, i'll go with an ORY and put some fake cats on it to pass the visual test, and if the difference is negligible, i'd get the catted Y and save myself the headaches of fabricating something that looks authentic.

i'm not overly concerned about sound level, since i'd think that the stock SLP muffler would keep the noise within the levels of reason.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i went with cats on my car for legal reasons.

you wont lose much power anyway.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

I would go with ory (no cats) or + true duals (pipe all the way back from each header) if you don't mind a loud car & smelling fumes when you start up. I have the Jet-Hot headers + ORY and it sounds sweet. Cats are for dogs.

Go with the cats if its a serious issue for you (inspection) / tickets / local laws or if you dont like the smell of fumes sometimes.

Quick Reply: HP difference: cats vs no cats