Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulling out dip stick

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulling out dip stick

what is the easiest way to do thsi withought effing it up too aweful bad. soo far ive to the bolt off that holds it, what next? and whats the easiest way to take off the passenger side manafold? their is soo much **** in the way.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thats it one bolt and pull it up out might have to twist it alitte.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:43 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

I just took the bolt out and pulled the dip stick out. I did my best to guide so that I didnt screw it up. Just be carefull and you will be fine. Getting it back in is what is hard. Make sure that you have a friend to help you guide it back in. That will save you a lot of time.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What lithium said. To get it back in it's best to have one person guide it from below and another to support it and push a little from the top. To get it seated all the way will require the person below to grab it and push the final inch or so into the block, the tube itself isn't stiff/strong enough to push it from the top.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Mine just pulls straight out and I kinda drop it in after I line it up from the bottom, first time I did it I bent the **** out of it and did not realize it, I tried getting it in for hrs scratching my head wondering why the damn angle was so messed up lol. I bent it back and it droopped right in, was kicking myself that day
Old 07-01-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine goes in and out very easily...like mentioned above, use a friend to help guide it back in...now, the dipstick tube in my prior F-body, a '97 Z28 LT1 was a biotch...i bent the original one so bad that I had to buy a replacement...
Old 07-01-2005, 10:56 AM
TECH Regular

ok, i got the drivers side manafold off, im guessing the gasket is still good? it looks like it is 3 or more thin layers of metal sat on top of eachuther. on the passenger side it looks like its going to be a bitch to get to the manafold polts from the top. what all can i move to make it easier on me?
Old 07-01-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

what is the thing on the passenger side that looks like a bottle that is strapped to the fender? it has one hose runins twards the firewall that hoold up to a compresser looking thing. i need to know if i can unhook these lines to get to the manafold bolts? and how do you get to the back passenger side bolt?
Old 07-01-2005, 12:37 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Originally Posted by bolton98TA
ok, i got the drivers side manafold off, im guessing the gasket is still good? it looks like it is 3 or more thin layers of metal sat on top of eachuther. on the passenger side it looks like its going to be a bitch to get to the manafold polts from the top. what all can i move to make it easier on me?
To be on the safe side I would by some new gaskets from the delearship. But if there is nothing wrong with the gaskets and they still look good go ahead and re-use them.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:40 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Originally Posted by bolton98TA
what is the thing on the passenger side that looks like a bottle that is strapped to the fender? it has one hose runins twards the firewall that hoold up to a compresser looking thing. i need to know if i can unhook these lines to get to the manafold bolts? and how do you get to the back passenger side bolt?
Basically remove everything that you see. I unbolted the AIR hose from the manifold and just put it to the side and out of the way. Also remove those coil packs as well.
*EDIT* Here is a link that I found very helpfull while installing my headers. http://modernmusclecars.net/forums/a...=headerinstall
One more for you. http://www.geocities.com/foff667/98Camaropg4.html

Last edited by Lithium; 07-01-2005 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:55 PM
TECH Regular

thanks man, just got the dipstick out. the headers just cam in so i took a break to check tha babys out...... damn, arnt they pretty! evorything seems to be welded good and it looks nice. now im going back out to undo the coil packs and try to get the last 2 bolts off the manafold and slip em headers in their