Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i`m getting sick of it

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 02:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i`m getting sick of it

guys i`m stell comfused about which headers and y pipe i should get for my trans am,i have a borla catback and i dont know whatll work with them?? and which are the best,,when i`m almost buying the slp headers with y pipe,my friends say(there is no big diffrent than slp and hooker) hooker and jba are less cost than others,if any of u guys have a number about horsepower+++ diffrent in their cars after changing their headers and y pipe,cuz preformance is what im lookin 4,,thanks
Old 07-05-2005, 03:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you're looking for performance, then get LTs and ORY. If you have a butt load of money, get the stainless steel ceramic coated ones. If you're on a budget, I would highly recommend the Pacesetter ceramic coated ones. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:09 AM
11 Second Club

im with him, i love mine
Old 07-05-2005, 05:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I couldn't reccomend SLP long tubes, a lot of people have major clearance issues with them. I would go with Hooker, Kooks, Pacesetters, or QTPs if I were you
Old 07-05-2005, 05:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

FLP's work great for me.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Call a vendor/sponsor that sells and installs headers. Speed Inc, TByrne, Thunderracing and talk to them about which header to get. These folks install and dyno all of the major brand headers. They know the good ones from the bad ones.

Follow their advice and you should get good results. After doing your research buy the headers from the vendor/sponsor that gave you the advice you are most comfortable with.

Good luck.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

man i wouldn't get the ceramic coated headers. i've seen how they can start to rust. also the slp's are a no no. people on here will tell you that. the clearance sucks and the flow isn't all of that great. i've got a buddy who has the slp's on his ss and the kooks on his z. i've got the kooks also and we both like them alot. you said you have borla, i've got the stainless kooks race lts and ory pipe with the borla catback. people say their is a raspy sound, i think they sound great. with the kooks their is no need to cut or notch the kmember either. i know the price is steep, but you get what you pay for.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

OK, here's my .02,

Pacesetter's and Jet Hot's are all nice headers, but they are all mild steel, and neither of their Y pipes are the best flowing either. Kook's and QTP's are both stainless, out of the both, QTP's Y pipe is the best because they use a true merge collector (flowmaster), Kook's Y pipe is better then the Pacesetter/Jet Hot Y pipe, but doesn't use the flowmaster merge. The downside of the QTP Y pipe is you have to shorten the I pipe some because of the flowmaster merge collector, it's a little longer then the other Y pipes, which all the other's, the I pipe will slide right in. IMO, I would go with cats with the Borla because it tends to the raspy with an ORY, but it's all up to you. Now on to cats, the Pacesetter/Jet Hot's use some goofy looking honey comb thingy that goes inline with the pipe, meaning you can't tell if they Y pipe has cats or not because it slides into the piping, don't know how well they flow as opposed to other cats out on the market. The QTP/Kook's use carsound cats which flow pretty good for the price of them. Now on to clearance, all the headers above offer excellent clearance, the Pacesetter/Jet Hot Y pipe seem to have better clearance, because they have notches in the piping for them to tuck up better, but they aren't helping the flow of the Y pipe, the Kook's catted Y has better clearance then the QTP Y, because the cats on the Kook's Y are up near the header collectors, the QTP's driver side cat is right near the tranny crossmember, tends to hang low and scrap on speedbumps/railroad tracks. IMO, if you go with a catted Y, the Kook's header combo seems to be the winner IMO, if you go with an ORY, I would look into the QTP's/ORY. You can't mix match Y pipes, with the Kook's/QTP's, the Kook's collector's are shorter then the QTP's. If you go with Pacesetter's/Jet Hot's, you can look into the Mufflex ORY, which is the same thing as the QTP ORY, which has the flowmaster merge collector, it's more expensive then the Pacesetter/Jet Hot Y pipe, here again, you get what you pay for.So all in all, it comes down to what you want and how much you are willing to pay for.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:25 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139142
Old 07-05-2005, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardtop00SS
OK, here's my .02,

Pacesetter's and Jet Hot's are all nice headers, but they are all mild steel, and neither of their Y pipes are the best flowing either. Kook's and QTP's are both stainless, out of the both, QTP's Y pipe is the best because they use a true merge collector (flowmaster), Kook's Y pipe is better then the Pacesetter/Jet Hot Y pipe, but doesn't use the flowmaster merge. The downside of the QTP Y pipe is you have to shorten the I pipe some because of the flowmaster merge collector, it's a little longer then the other Y pipes, which all the other's, the I pipe will slide right in. IMO, I would go with cats with the Borla because it tends to the raspy with an ORY, but it's all up to you. Now on to cats, the Pacesetter/Jet Hot's use some goofy looking honey comb thingy that goes inline with the pipe, meaning you can't tell if they Y pipe has cats or not because it slides into the piping, don't know how well they flow as opposed to other cats out on the market. The QTP/Kook's use carsound cats which flow pretty good for the price of them. Now on to clearance, all the headers above offer excellent clearance, the Pacesetter/Jet Hot Y pipe seem to have better clearance, because they have notches in the piping for them to tuck up better, but they aren't helping the flow of the Y pipe, the Kook's catted Y has better clearance then the QTP Y, because the cats on the Kook's Y are up near the header collectors, the QTP's driver side cat is right near the tranny crossmember, tends to hang low and scrap on speedbumps/railroad tracks. IMO, if you go with a catted Y, the Kook's header combo seems to be the winner IMO, if you go with an ORY, I would look into the QTP's/ORY. You can't mix match Y pipes, with the Kook's/QTP's, the Kook's collector's are shorter then the QTP's. If you go with Pacesetter's/Jet Hot's, you can look into the Mufflex ORY, which is the same thing as the QTP ORY, which has the flowmaster merge collector, it's more expensive then the Pacesetter/Jet Hot Y pipe, here again, you get what you pay for.So all in all, it comes down to what you want and how much you are willing to pay for.
Wow that pretty much sums up the entire last couple years of long tube development. Good job, lol.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

hey he wanted to know what to get, I gave him my .02, well it may have been a little more then that
Old 07-05-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

hey he wanted to know what to get, I gave him my .02, well it may have been a little more then that
that was a novel good info tho
Old 07-05-2005, 08:17 PM
Banned

MY 2 cents.

QTP with their Y pipe.

Kooks with THEIR Y pipe.

NO SLP STUFF.. SLP SUCKS AND WILL FOREVER SUCK!

Mac Midlengths flow almost as well as most LT's and they are cheaper.

I would go with QTP though (QUICKTIME PERFORMANCE)
Old 07-05-2005, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

orp = rasp and only a couple more hp
with a catback get a catted y pipe

you will get a lot of rasp with your borla and ory
Old 07-06-2005, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

if money's an issue coated pacesetter LTs, if not, kooks LTs
Old 07-06-2005, 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

I'm running Hooker LT'S and ORY with my Borla catback. I got rid of my SLP LT'S because they hung 1 1/2 pipe lower than the Hooker's. If your lowered it really sucks!!!! having SLP.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

FLP LT's here......catted FLP ypipe.....Borla catback "open (no plate)" = great exhaust sound IMHO. The exhaust is somewhat quiet around town. At WOT with the tires spinning through 1st and 2nd it sounds F*ing AWESOME!!!

These are coated already also. Look nice and perform....what more could you want?

Good luck
Andy
Old 07-06-2005, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

OK, here's my .02,

I thinks this should be a sticky
Old 07-06-2005, 10:32 PM
12 Second Club

I am running pacesetter coated LTs and TSP Ory and a flowmaster. Nexted week I am ordering a hooker catback. I hate how the flowmaster sounds with the longtubes and ory. The Hooker catback sounds great with Lts and ory.